Best way to clean SS grates

Tom Henderson

TVWBB Member
Greetings.

I recently acquired a new Genesis that has the stainless steel grates (made of wire, not formed sheet metal)

What is the best approach to cleaning these?

With the old cast iron grates I just shut it down after cooking, then for the next cook I would preheat for 10-15 min, then brush the grates using a wire brush. Worked fine. But im not sure how the wire brush will do with the round SS wire grates compared to the flat CI grates.

Do the wooden scrapers work? I guess they form themselves to the wire so might work.

Also, do you folks clean right after cooking? Or wait until the next cook?

I know these may are simple and basic questions but I want to treat the new grill right.

I am sure everyone has an opinion on this. I treat mine like cast iron. I like to brush them off after a cook, coat with oil. Make sure to flip them and clean and oil the underside every so often. I find if they don't get cleaned and oiled they will pit. A few times a year I will put them in a tub or large sink and use a scotch bright pad and bar keepers friend as a deep clean.

High quality brush. Libman is the ONLY brand I have found that is made well and not shed bristles. For reasons too lengthy to go into...............again. Suffice to say it is the only product I have found made in the USA and made in a manner I feel safe using. Feel free to use search function and find the many posts I personally have made as to why Libman is the only brush you should use.....................key word here SAFELY

At least a few times a year I soak and scrub my SS grates with BKF and at least once or twice a year I do the whole grill with the stuff. Excellent on Stainless. No joke.

Why? They're grates not engagement rings LOL. I give them a good brush down, occasionally I turn them over and get them good and got to give them a good scrape down. I imagine I could if feeling ambitious use some of the Sam's Club grill cleaner on them. But why? They're for cookin not lookin. :D

Several of us use the chargon tool. It's all I've used for several years. It takes slightly longer than a brush. But still only takes a couple of minutes. It's safer than any brush. It lasts practically forever (unlike a brush). It's much more hygienic and easy to clean than a brush. AND once you get the hang of it - it cleans both the top and underside without flipping the grates.

I would never go back to a brush after using this thing.

In addition to the usual brushing and such, I put mine in the dishwasher from time to time on the heavy duty cycle.

I just discovered the Dawn Powerwash stuff, haven’t tried it on grates yet, but plan to soon. It’s done wonders on everything I’ve tried so far. Spray it on, let it sit a while, rinse it off.

I just preheat and brush and/or scrape them with the spatula before cooking. After cooking I just shut off the grill and eat. That’s it, no deep cleaning.
Gerry

I've been looking for one of those for ages!
I currently use the Billy Bar
Amazon has them. 20 bucks. Dirt cheap when you consider it's a lifetime tool rather than annual replacement like a brush. I tried the billy bar but for me the chargon worked much better. The chargon shape just fit the round grates much better and cleaned more thoroughly and quicker than the billy bar.

Amazon has them. 20 bucks. Dirt cheap when you consider it's a lifetime tool rather than annual replacement like a brush. I tried the billy bar but for me the chargon worked much better. The chargon shape just fit the round grates much better and cleaned more thoroughly and quicker than the billy bar.
Thanks for the heads up. Sadly not available on Amazon UK.

No offense I think the chargon sucks!! If you aren’t using a brass Libman you are missing out.
I buy one every visit to smart and final, I would not want to ever be without these.
I started with the Weber long handle and once I found these I was hooked.

EDIT: just used the chargon on a really stubborn grate and it did a great job, I also sprayed citrusafe bbq cleaner and scrubbed it. Looking good.
C5B012F6-58EF-4F08-9FE3-F3A37E33951B.jpeg

Last edited:

Back