Best vaccum food saver out there?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Which one would be the best to use not only for smokin leftovers, but also for freezing fish I catch and game I shoot?

Regards
Steven

I just got my foodsaver 800 and it was worlds better than the old Deni model I had. The bags seem expensive but I love the way things freeze. I've heard alot talk about these machines on this forum just do a search under foodsaver and you'll get an earful (or more accurately a screenful)

You might also consider the Sinbo VS280 vacuum sealer. It uses flat vacuum bags, which are considerably less expensive than the special bags required by the Tilia Foodsaver machines. I've had mine for over a year and it works very well. Here's a link to where I bought mine:
http://www.sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html
They had a special promotion: the sealer, plus 200 free bags (in addition to the 30 that come with the sealer), plus free shipping, for $139. I don't know if that offer is still good. (The 200 bags alone would cost $80 if you bought the same size for a Foodsaver machine.)

I'll put in my vote for the Sears Kenmore knockoff. It costs less than the Foodsaver brand and works just as well in my opinion. My sister has a Foodsaver but uses the Kenmore bags. Her and my opinion is that the Kenmore bags evacuate better than the Foodsaver bags.

FoodSaver/Tilia makes the Kenmore brand for Sears. FYI, the Black and Decker bags also work in the FoodSaver, and they are considerably cheaper.

I have the Kenmore Ultra vaccuum sealer that has an extended sealing time feature as well as on-board storage for a roll and a built-in cutter. So far I've been very pleased with it. Sale price was$99 right before Thanksgiving. I've used both Foodsaver and Kenmore bags. I've found that I can even vaccuum and re-seal some commercial bags such as a bag of Pepperidge Farm bread crumbs that I got at Thanksgiving and only partially used. Figured "why not", and it worked great. I used it on a partially used bag of marshmallows, too. That one was fun - made a marshmallow brick out of the original bag. I opened it up, and they "grew" back to normal size. I re-sealed it; it's been almost 2 months, and the seal is still holding. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I'm sure that not ALL commercial plastic bags will work, but so far the ones I've tried it on have worked pretty well.

Right before Christmas, Amazon.com ran a special on their FoodSaver rolls for... oh, I don't remember now... half price, maybe, or possibly less. Anyway, I bought four rolls, and will be checking occasionally to see when they go on sale again.

Keri C

Other than physical look of it I think the machine that Keri has it the exact same machine a the foodsaver 800. I looked at the kenmore and had and the foodsavers and bought the FS 800bsed on price only. $99 seems like a good price though for the Kenmore.

If anyone sees a good deal on those bags like Keri did please post it again That was a killer deal. I wish I had bought some of them but was thinking that Santa might bring some!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back