Best Thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

D M Sattelberg

TVWBB Member
I have searched through this site and the info is incredible. I have not seen a forum on the best dial thermometer. Just curious as to peoples thoughts and best sites or stores to buy the thermometers from. Any help would be great....

Ditto on the Trend thermometer from the BBQ Store as linked above. They last for years and remain accurate for that time as well.

SC Que

I used the Weber replacement dial thermometer ($8.00 - $10.00) with no problems before I bought the ET-73 digital as an upgrade.

The $30 thermometer from BBQs Galore can easily be calibrated if need be and mine is quite accurate. Only time will tell if it's as reliable as the Trend, but I got it for the easy-to-read dial and red zone. I can look out the window and see temperature of my smoker.

I took it a step further and adjusted the temperature to show that measured at the grate with a probe at 225F. Basically I got the smoker running at 225F as measured at the grate witha probe, then "un-calibrated" my dome thermometer to show exactly 225F also. Not exactly scientific but works for me.

WSM_thermometer2.JPG

Trend, Tel-tru, Ashcroft. All pretty good thermometers.

I have one Ashcroft and two Tel-tru's.

I always think the Ashcroft is probably the best because they're a big industrial instrument maker, but the glow-in-the-dark Tel-tru's are just too cool lookin' /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

DM,

I have a 3 inch Ashcroft which I really like.
Heavy-duty industrial grade unit. Can be difficult and/or pricey to get. My area distributor had a minimum order of $50, so I had to buy 2.

On the other hand, many folks have the Tel-Tru and seem to be pleased with them. Was watching a BBQ Championship (the Jack Daniels Invitational) show on the Food Network this past weekend, and I saw many Tel-Tru thermometers.

Good Luck!

-Albert

Waiting on delivery of WSM from Amazon. I bought an ET-73. Is there any reason I should also buy a dial thermometer to insert through the top vent?

Dave,
With the ET-73 you are taking the temp at the grate. IMO it makes sense to measure the temp at the meat. This has been discussed at length recently and there are many opinions. I don't see any reason to use one at the grate and one in the dome. I would just decide on one or the other and go with it.

I have an Ashcroft thermometer mounted in the dome & also use the ET-73. I mostly go by the grate level temp using the ET-73, but if the Maverick happened to malfunction during a cook I could finish using the dome thermometer.
Plus.... as other people have said here, a mounted thermometer just looks cool!

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back