Best Thermo to buy??

Bill,
The insulation on the wires I have are good to 400 deg. f. I don't stick the wires in until the meats are past halfway done. The wires go in easily then.
Paul,
The thermocoulpe wire has a connector that plugs into the thermometer itself. You might have seen a module that you can use if you have a digital voltmeter. The module probably converts the very small voltage from the thermocouple to a larger voltage that a voltmeter can use. If you own a voltmeter, you can save yourself the cost of the thermometer and just buy the module.
db

I use analog to monitor pit temps and a Thermapen to check meat temps. Polders and such I have found to be to unreliable, break down too often and at bad times.
The wireless units I found to be useless at competitions cause you end up reading someone else pit temps too often.
Jim

Jim, I'm inclined to go your route. I'm pretty sure I've exposed my probes to excessive heat and fried them. I use an analog for the smoker and currently using an inexpensive Taylor digital probe for a brisket I have on right now. I'm not going to leave the probe in; just monitored the temps a few times. Going with the high temp method. Now that I've hit 170 and foiled, I'll just check for proper tenderness and not worry about the temp.

Back