Best Thermo to buy??

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
I know this has been discussed from various angles before, but I need to ask again; what's the best (reliable) digital probe out there? Recently I lost 2 units; a Polder and an old AccuRite. Both seemed to display the same symptoms of over heating; "hhhh" in the display or outrageous temp readings like 314* when 1st turned on. Is the weak link in all of these models the cord and probe? Do we risk frying them out on the WSM if they run under the lid and have to cross the "hot" area between the side and the grill? Does resting the lid crimp and degrade the cable? How often have you replaced yours? I appreciate your input.

Analog: Tel-Tru. Go to their website and mention a promotion code to get a 10-15% discount.

Digital: Maverick ET-73 which is a dual probe unit.

Right now I'm using both for the first time in a brand new WSM so I'm on my way to Heaven. Later!!!!!!

The only time I lost a digital thermometer was when it got rained on. Never was the same after that. It was a Polder.

I have run the cables under the lid and have never had a problem. Hasn't fried, hasn't crimped. I'm careful to set the lid down gently.

I only have two ET-73s, so I can't comment on which digital is the best.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K: Recently I lost 2 units; a Polder and an old AccuRite. Both seemed to display the same symptoms of over heating; "hhhh" in the display or outrageous temp readings like 314* when 1st turned on. Is the weak link in all of these models the cord and probe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The problem with any digital temp probe is where the wire goes into the metal probe. You can't get water in there or it will ruin the probe. I'd just get a new probe instead of buying a whole unit. You can get replacement probes for the Polder at Linens and Things. I have ruined 2 probes so far on my Nu Temps by getting water inside the probe.

Brian you hit that right on the head! That is the only problem I have had, and my polders are 4-5 yrs old. I put a small piece of foil over the connection where the wire enters the probe,while washing them

DAVE

Paul,

I searched for about two weeks before I purchased mine. I must have read every post here and the BBQ Bible forum in regards to digital thermometers. I ultimately decided on a Nu-Temp NU-701. Because of the "supposed" range that it has over the Maverick.

This is a heated discussion because there are fanboys of both. You'll get one person that says Maverick had terrible range while another person will say the complete opposite. I ended up purchasing the Nu-Temp because from the research that I had done more people consistently said they had good luck with range with the Nu-Temp. That's not to say that I didn't find anyone that didn't like the Nu-Temp. There seems too be more people pleased with it compared with the Mavericks.

Also, I like the fact that the Nu-Temp has really large readings on the display. You can see it from far away. Mine has awesome range from the back of the house all way to the front through several walls and obstructions. It's got a high and low alarm. It's simple and does what it needs to do. It can handle three probes. I like simple reliable things over bells and whistles.

I also liked the fact that I was able to reach someone right away on the phone with questions in regards to the Nu-Temp. I know Nu-Temp sold high temperature probes as spare parts but I don't see them on their site now. They were back ordered a while back. They intrigued me because they were rated very high for temp. They could most likely handle grilling applications.

As far as the probes and using them between the lid and the cylinder. I've had no problems. I too had concerns about the high heat on the edges of the grates and cylinder and the lid crushing the wire but haven't had any issues yet. I roasted this years turkey in the 350 to 400 degree temps for 4 hours without issue if that helps.

There are some things that I would advise for the care of probes. Never get the wiring wet, if they do, they can get ruined. A hair dryer is great for drying them off. Never immerse the wires. I only wash the solid metal part of the probe. Do not wash the wire if it get dirty. Just wipe them after each use with a towl or paper towl. Also try not to kink the wire. I store mine by looping them and secure with a twist tie. I try to use fresh batteries in my unit. It's a pain but I take my batteries out when not in use. Ever see that battery crud on the contacts after you've left batteries in something for too long.

I also think its a great idea to use a analog thermometer for backup. I just stick my analog with clip inside one of the top vents. This does not require any mod to the WSM, just bend the thermo clip out a little so it will fit a little tighter in the hole. Only draw back is that the top vents have little to no adjustment. Not an issue for me since I've never have had to adjust the top vents.

I spent a small fortune on analog/dial thermometers. The one I always use is a Pyrex I got from Bed Bath and Beyond.

Here's a photo.

It's nice because it's got a black background with letters. It's very accurate too. It was the most accurate out of the 5 that I bought. It compliments the WSM very well. Keep in mind that it's darn near impossible to have two thermometers that will read perfectly the same all the time. All you can hope for is to obtain ones that are close as far as boiling water and ice water test and adjust your cooking accordingly.

Good luck on your thermometer search whichever one you decide on!

Jonny

Paul, for an instant read thermometer, you should look at a Thermapen. It has won many awards and is suppose to be dead accurate. You'll pay a pretty penny for one, I believe around $80 but well worth it.

Erik

Jonny K - yep, I've been doing the same research you've done. I too have several back ups - all analog. Just seems like there'd be an easy way to seal the location where the braided wire goes into the probe; maybe a drop or two of solder?
Erik- I've read about the thermapen and I think that's one of Alton Brown's favorite gadgets. Still a little rich for my blood, but one day...

Thanks

Paul K,

I don't know if all probes are the same but my Nu-Temp probes have a small silicone plug built into the probe where the probe and the braided wire meet.

I'm willing to bet that one could take some good silicone caulk and rub a dab into the space where the probe and braided wires meet.

Paul,
If you need a wireless thermometer with alarms then disregard this post.
When I first started bbq'ing I bought a Fluke 51 digital thermometer for around 140 bucks. It's nothing fancy, It just reads temperature using a thermocouple. The temp range is -328 to +2500 deg. It is a high quality unit. I've been using it for around 15 years now.
It's been rained on and dropped on many occasions. I was at a contest once and a buddy was telling me how he lost a contest because his brisket wouldn't get above 160 deg. I asked to see the thermometer he used. It was a brand new polder and was off by 40 deg. Cost him a few thousand bucks that day. He should of checked it.
I've never bought one for myself, but I bought one for my brother for xmas. It was off by 11 deg.
A buddy I cook with sometimes comes to a contest with a box full of those polder types. It looked like he had 8 or 9 of them in there all tangled up. For me, I'd rather spend the money now and have a unit that will last my lifetime. I read constanly about unreliable, inexpensive units on this and other bbq forums that don't last.
Just something to think about.
db

Dave,

-328 to 2500
icon_eek.gif
! I've run a little hot on some of my cooks, but never that high!! $140 doesn't sound bad at all if you could count on it being around for 15 years. I'll make a decision today as I'd like to have it for this weekend. It sounds like thermos are a lot like knives; everyone has their own prefernce.

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Brewer:

When I first started bbq'ing I bought a Fluke 51 digital thermometer for around 140 bucks. It's nothing fancy, It just reads temperature using a thermocouple. The temp range is -328 to +2500 deg. It is a high quality unit. I've been using it for around 15 years now.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave,
Where did you get the "meat" probe for your Fluke? I use a thermocouple for verifing air temp once in a while, but I can't find an appropriate meat probe.

Bill,
80PK-25 SureGrip™ Piercing Temperature Probe
on the Fluke website. I've got one but I rarely use it. I just stick the thermocople into the meat or wrap it around a grate. They are cheap and last forever. I use two or three and leave them stuck in the briskets and butts. You can check the internal meat temp this way without lifting the lid of the cooker since the wires are hanging outside the pit.
I had some fun a while back with the big green egg guys. I got tired of them claiming that only the egg can sear steaks at 850 deg. I put some lump in the bottom of my wsm, laid a grate on the fire ring and measured the grill temp at 1250 deg. Once seared you can put the middle section on to finish them off. That put a nice sear on the steaks that night.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Brewer:
I just stick the thermocople into the meat or wrap it around a grate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave,
Isn't it a little hard getting the wire to the center of a raw cut? I never really considered using just wire, what type of inslulation do do you use? Kapton, Teflon?

Steaks are the realm of my Kettle never a problem with heat there!

Thanks for the info.

Paul, sorry for the slight detour of your thread
icon_wink.gif

No problem Bill, this is interesting, I like Dave's assesment of "they last forever"
icon_smile.gif
!
Dave, went to the Fluke website and checked out the 80PK-25 SureGrip. It looks like it needs to plug into another unit; is that correct?

Back