Best Texas Beef Brisket in the country is in...........Charlotte!

Ben S.

TVWBB Member
Not to start a fight, but found this today. Haven't been there yet, but now I'll have to go!

THE `GRILL MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE' HAS SPOKEN
Queen City boasts the king of brisket
Ouch, that proclamation's gotta hurt deep in the heart of Texas

HELEN SCHWAB
Restaurant Writer

JASON E. MICZEK/Observer Staff
The beef brisket sandwich at Mac's Beer Bites and BBQ is served open faced with grilled onions. The brisket was recently called the country's best by BBQ expert Rick Browne.

Pity Texans this morning.

They went to bed last night thinking their biggest Charlotte controversy was the new starting quarterback for the Cowboys against the Panthers on Sunday.

Hang on to your Stetsons, boys. It's about to get worse.

The Observer has learned that Rick Browne declares the Texas beef brisket at Mac's Speed Shop on South Boulevard the "best I've ever had."

Which may not strike you as significant unless you know that Browne hosts PBS's nationally televised "Barbecue America," has written bushels of barbecue cookbooks and reviews, and is alternately dubbed "Grill Master of the Universe," "America's king of outdoor cooking" and "Dr. Que."

"The meat was tender, juicy, and loaded with flavor," he e-mailed this week. "All this from a piece of meat that's tough as a snow tire, and often as tasteless."

Browne was in town for about a week in late September, attending Charlotte Shout's Blues, Brews & BBQ competition, then appearing at its culinary festival. In between, he found Mac's.

He ate there five days in a row.

"My staff called and said, `This guy wants to see you,' " says Mac's co-owner, J.D. Duncan. "I wasn't familiar with his show. ... He went crazy for two hours. I couldn't get up and leave."

The challenge of brisket, says Browne, is that the cut -- from the cow's lower chest -- is one of the hardest meats to hold over and serve the next day. "I've been in tons of restaurants where you know it's the second day. This technique ... It's brilliant."

Duncan explains: Mac's cooks the meat completely in a Southern Pride smoker, then throws it in a cooler to bring it down to 42 degrees. It's then sliced to order, half an inch thick, trimmed, and slapped on the grill. "When the oils and fats start to melt, it's like eating a piece of tenderloin."

Browne shot some impromptu footage at Mac's for his show, and it's slated to air in the spring, on 231 stations nationwide. (Duncan also says NBC came out to shoot footage Friday, for a segment on Texas vs. N.C. barbecue during the third quarter of Sunday's game.)

The brisket proclamation should be enough to get Browne in trouble here, too -- plenty of Charlotteans would argue for somewhere other than Mac's as the top 'cue in town. But Browne doesn't stop there.

"Mac's hush puppies are to die for. My favorite used to be in Shelby: Bridges. Sorry. They got beat out."

By the way, Browne loved Mac's pork, too. He may or may not know that the guy doing that pork now -- 1,200 pounds of it a week, says Duncan -- is Charles Semail. A French chef.

WANT TO TRY THE NOW-FAMOUS BRISKET?

Mac's Speed Shop opened in 2005, a venture led by J.D. Duncan, who also has the much more upscale Bonterra's in Dilworth and Ratcliffe's on the Green uptown (which debuted a menu of "classic Charleston cuisine" this week). Mac's, in a sparely renovated transmission shop, draws a diverse crowd that includes motorcycle enthusiasts who park their rides up front. Along with the brisket ($14 for three slices, two sides and Texas toast), it serves pork barbecue, smoked wings, deviled eggs, fish tacos, salads and more. 2511 South Blvd.; 704-522-6227.

The link with pictures: http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/living/15869456.htm

Hey, what's Ben S. Charlotte here also. Yeah, it was on the front page of Charlotte.com - Looks really good, I going to put it on my list to try. Have you ever been to HillBilly's in McAdenville?

I have to say as a native Charlottean, this article is just plain wrong. After enduring the fattiest brisket I've ever encountered the last time I ate at Mac's, and complaining to no avail, I decided to never go back there. The friend that was with me feels the same. I felt bad because I drug him there.

Well I can't stand Rick Browne and have had a hard time swollowing some of his advice from his show (which I still somehow manage to watch) so I'm going to have to take this advice with a heavy dose of skeptisism.

Hi Travis, yep, I've eaten at Hillbilly's quite a few times, and enjoyed it every time I've gone there. I must admit I haven't been there in a while, since finding this site and making my own.

Mike B., I hate to hear that. I wonder if they were tipped off and gave him special treatment, even though the article said they didn't know him. Maybe they had a bad day with you and your friend, although there's no excuse for not treating you right after you complained about it. If like that all the time, they'll have a lot of 1 time only customers. I'll have to see what my experience is like.

Ben

Definitely give it a shot Ben. I liked it quite a bit the first time I ate there, especially the brisket. You may get them on a good day. The second time i ate there was a bit sad though. I got practically two good bites out of a $10.00 meal. It didn't help that it was swimming in overly-sweet sauce. The trimmer should have caught the fat though.

*Yawn*

Never heard of the guy, but he's obviously never been to Black's in Lockhart, or any of the other famous Central Texas Q joints. I'm not impressed by their serving technique--sounds like they give everybody leftovers heated on a grill. I don't think Black's, Kreuz, Cooper's, etc. have much of a problem needing to hold meat over to the next day...

To be honest, I had better brisket at Alice Cooper's Town in Phoenix last week. Old Alice's BBQ Platter was surprisingly tasty!

I had a chance to meet Browne, briefly, at the Charlotte BBQ fest, and trust me, 3 minutes is all I could stand of the guy! Not trying to flame on here, but he's a loud-mouthed Yankee that asks 100 questions and looks like he's been living in a cave for nearly 40 years. He was filming footage of the BBQ comp at the tent next to mine, and I really wanted to make a stupid face or hand gesture just to anger his film crew.

By the way, I have seen his show....just once...I was sorta misled by the title....I was hoping to see BBQ, but he was "barbecuing" a steak....I thought that was "grilling".

Russell,

When it comes to this guy.. flame away.

For me it has less to do with him being a yankee in my opinion and more to do with being misinformed and annoying.

I have a hard time faulting him on the yankee part though, we're not all loud mouths.

I have seen his show once. He was supremely annoying, and his show was about grilling, not Q'ing.

He had some chef on there doing the actual work, and she looked like she couldn't stand him either!

Being from Texas, I hardly know if I should say something or just laugh. I think it's probably better if I just laugh and not say anything that might hurt some folks feelings.

I would think their technique of reheating on the grill might dry out the meat. Greg, I agree with you; Central Texas has a tremendous amount of very good Q joints serving some great brisket. As a matter of fact, I helped cook 36 whole packers this past Saturday for a fund raiser. Took one home for myself; and got to admit it was pretty good. Sorry NC, I'm sticking with my TX brisket.

I'm not from Texas, but I do teach BBQ in Texas. I am the one holding two Weber chimneys on the very first two pages of Rick's book Grilling America. "This technique ... It's brilliant" is straight from the pages of Cooking Illustrated magazine. The Saltlick in Texas does not need to hold Brisket they sell it as fast as they can smoke and slice it. The Saltlick's Brisket is as good as any, if not the best Restaurant Brisket I've ever eaten.
Grill Masters of the Universe was the title of an article in the July 1st Wall Street Journal, Rick was not mentioned in the article.

Spent 49 years in Charlotte, and moved to VA 3 years ago. I still think "The Old Hickory House" on North Tryon just before HWY 49 is best Q in the city! Have had Texas Q as well and......it was good, I would not say "better" but different. BOTH were good. Will have to try Mac's but I suspect there is some "politicking" going on there behind the scenes. Hillbilly's in McAdenville is good. Their ribs are great!!! My choice, and until 3 years ago have tried them all, you just can't beat "Old Hickory House."

My friend and I decided to give Mac's another chance over the weekend. I ordered the brisket sandwich and made sure to have them hold the sauce. I didn't want a repeat of 90% fat brisket hidded by a gallon of sauce I had the last time I was there. Well, we both thought it was much better. Not as good as my brisket, but not bad. It's worth a try. Just hope you get them on a good day.

Back