Best Ribs Yet!

Kent Walker

Last weekend was my 4th time using the BRITU rub but my ribs came out much better. I changed 2 things:

1) Used a combination of hickory, oak and apple (in that order). Previously I used only hickory.

2) I used lump charcoal from Chigger Creek instead of Kingsford.

Could making these two changes make that much of a difference in taste? Does anyone think jumbo lump charcoal contributed anything to the improvement, or is it just the combination of woods I used this time?

Thanks!

Kent
The fact it is the 4th time you cooked them has more to do with it rather than the changes in wood or coals.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig castille:
Lump allows the flavor of the wood and rub to shine through.

Charcoal can drown out both. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree Craig, 100%! Lump makes a huge difference.
I don't think the order of putting smoke wood in made any difference, but going to lump, and 3 other cooks under your belt helps.

I also believe the experience you now have is the biggest difference. Being a newbie, I feel I get better with each cook.

Well, the next time switch back to Kingsford and perhaps all hickory and you'll know if it's you or the coals and wood. I'll bet it's the former. Experience and confidence are huge.

John

May I suggest only changing one variable at a time. This way it will be easier to determine if it was the fuel, the wood, both, or neither. I am interested in what your tests will turn up.

BTW, what was the difference in your ribs that made the most recent batch better than the previous? Were they less dry, less smokey, etc.?

-- Joey

Back