Best Ribs In The Universe Question

Willard USA

Are the temperatures for the best ribs in the universe recipe measured in the lid near the vent, or near the upper grill. I tried the recipe with very good results recently measuring temperatures near the grill. Since the grill temperature is typically 15 degrees cooler than the lid temperature, I am wondering if I cooked the ribs too hot. The meat did not pull away from the bone quite as easily as I thought it should. Overall, the results were very good, but I am looking for ways to make it better.

I always assume, unless otherwise-noted, that the temperatures specified are meant to be taken as being measured where the meat is located, and, if you are measuring elsewhere, that it's up to you to extrapolate based on your knowledge of your cooker's characteristics.

The original BRITU recipe from Mike Scrutchfield does not specify location, so there's no way to be sure. In the BRITU article I wrote, I measured temperature at the lid.

Regards,
Chris

Thank you for the feedback on this issue. I was trying to emulate the Chris's recipe as close as possible and will measure the temperature at the lid next time and see how they come out that way.

What temperature should rib meat be when the ribs are done?

Willard,
I assume that temps mentioned are at the lid unless noted otherwise.
When the rib meat has pulled away from the bone somewhat, I twist them to see how easy they want to pull apart between the bones. Some use a toothpick or fork to poke and see how tender they are. I don't know of anyone that has mentioned going by temps being that they are so thin, it would be hard to get a good reading on them.
I like mine that you need a gentle tug/bite to eat. They should pull clean from the bone, but not mushy.

Back