Best plan to keep Q warm?

Mary M

TVWBB Fan
Given that:
  • Large hunks of meat are being smoked overnight (brisket and butt)
  • Meat needs to come off at about 8 AM and then left on its lonesome, because the crew have other obligations
  • Meat will be foiled and kept in a cooler until party time
  • Party starts at 4 pm, when the ravenous hordes will expect to be served tasty smoked meats
  • Weather is sunny and in the 70s
...what's the best way to ensure that the meat stays warm enough and will be good to go at party time?

Debate. Discuss.

(in a pinch, we could change the schedule and have someone haul the meat off around noon and foil it, but that involves other contortions that we'd rather avoid if at all possible)

8 hrs is a long time to hold warm. Id go for a noon finish and then hold it warm in the cooler. Don't forget to let the brisket cool a bit before wrapping and holding.

I have held it for four hours before in a cooler with towels, and it was still so hot you couldn't handle it bare handed, but if I was to do eight hours I would double foil it and put it in my roaster on 180 .

just my 2 cents

I have held it for four hours before in a cooler with towels, and it was still so hot you couldn't handle it bare handed, but if I was to do eight hours I would double foil it and put it in my roaster on 180 .

just my 2 cents

If you 2x foil wrap and put it in an over at 170*, won't it continue to cook?

Me? If I was stuck on a 8 am pull time I would let it cool on the counter. Pull the butt and slice the brisket then fridge till after noon. Then reheat an hour or so before serving.
Good luck!

Tim

If you 2x foil wrap and put it in an over at 170*, won't it continue to cook?

it might Jeff, if I was doing it I think I would have somebody come take it off at noon, but they want to be done at 8. I don't know about everybody else but my BBQ never finishes exactly when I want it to, it's done when it is, hopefully in time.

Eight hours is easy for a pork butt. I did the following:
- foiled it
- wrapped in towel
-warmed cooler by filling with hot water
- emptied water, dried cooler
- crumpled up some newspapers and made layer inside cooler
- put butt in cooler
- put in mason jars holding the close to boiling hot sauce for the butt
- filled in rest of space with crumpled newspapers
- closed cooler and put it somewhere warm in possible

Eight hours later still very warm/hot. I now plan butts to finish about 5 hours before I want it and then store it till needed. No more hungry guests.

The key is to try something, but double check the plan with a thermometer. 140 F is the critical holding temperature that you want to stay above once it is cooked. If your plan doesn't work, then be prepared to reheat in the oven or roaster before serving to your guests. Remember that 40 to 140 is the danger zone for food with regard to temperature.

Back