Best Place to Buy Smoke Wood Chunks

Lee Morris

TVWBB Fan
I live in Huntsville, AL. The only wood chunks I can find in local stores are hickory and mesquite. I've done all my smokes so far with hickory. I'm looking to branch out into other woods (pun intended).

I don't really know of any local places where I might find wood, so I was investigating ordering over the internet.

Is there a consensus opinion on the best place to order from? If not, what are some of your favorite websites for ordering smoke wood?

Thanks for any info.

I order here and can highly recommend them - www.smokinlicious.com. They have a "Serious Smoker " box for $37.00 (including shipping), which includes 3 different types of wood of your choice. Something else I like about their wood is no bark.

Let me know if you have any questions.

You have some Academy Sport stores not too far from you. They have wood. I would call them before you drive that far but depending on where you work or visit friends, you might find yourself near one.

Originally posted by Bryan S:
I have been using this place for about 6 years now. Their wood is awsome. Natures own wood

X2! I love their wood... the wood I can't get here in Ct. I get from them and its always been a great product... I also use Natures Own Lump Maple for the Kettle...

Tony, I've bought cherry from smokinlicious and have been very happy with it. Let us know what you think.

I too tried Nature's Own's website but could not enter their shopping site, I think I was getting a 404 error. Wanted to do a little price comparison.

Larry,
I don't think their online site has been up for along time... I just call and they hook me up.
icon_biggrin.gif

Does anyone have a price list for Nature's Own... They're about 25 minutes from me, but they don't have a formal storefront.. still have to order by phone although they will let me pickup in person.

Most correspondence with them via email has been poor, though.

Not sure if you have an orchard near by, but I ran out to an orchard about 20 miles away and ended up with a pickup bed full of apricot, peach, apple, and cherry wood for about $15. All of it good smoking size since you pick it yourself out of piles.

Originally posted by Jerry N.:
You have some Academy Sport stores not too far from you. They have wood. I would call them before you drive that far but depending on where you work or visit friends, you might find yourself near one.

I have an Academy near me and they do have wood chunks. Hickory and Mesquite, which you can get anywhere, but they also carry Pecan which is good on poultry.

Originally posted by LarryR:
I order here and can highly recommend them - www.smokinlicious.com. They have a "Serious Smoker " box for $37.00 (including shipping), which includes 3 different types of wood of your choice. Something else I like about their wood is no bark.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I ordered and received a shipment from these Smokinlicious guys and was impressed. They sell the "heartwood" so the chunks do not contain resin/bark, which gives an unpleasant taste. I have purchased chunks before from other companies that look like they don't have bark, or certainly not much (in pictures on their web site), and when I got it almost every piece had bark on it, which can be difficult to remove.

i got my wild cherry from smokingliscious today, very nice wood. no bark and nice uniform square chunks. i'm doing a butt tonight and spares tomorrow with it and the rancher's choice

Back