Best Laid Plans of Mice and Grillers

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So one of my nephews did a nice thing and brought my dad out to visit today. Over the years my dad became friends with my neighbor from 2 doors away. When my girls were little my dad would come out, and baby sit them in the summer because with my Real Estate career at the time I could not always work from home. So then the girls introduced their Grandpa (John) to our neighbor (same age as my dad within 2 weeks) "Grandpa Fred". (and his then wife "grandma Lois") a wonderful lady who passed away about 12 years ago.
So sometimes I invite Fred to go with us to my dad's or if my dad is here Fred is always invited as well. The 2 old guys (both 95) still have their marbles and kibbutz. Takes a burden off of me to not have to "entertain" dad as well.
Anyway, I had this great idea to make a couple chickens on the Wolf rotisserie and glaze them with a sauce made from orange marmalade, peach preserves and balsamic vinegar. Well the birds did not want to cooperate and were flopping all over the spit rod, coming loose. So I had to give up. I shut the whole grill down. Allowed the chickens to cool, took my shears and cut the back bones out, split the keel bone and spatchcocked them. I still did the glaze and they were absolutely delish especially with a little touch of mesquite smoke on them.
Then the Genesis let me down. It was relegated to asparagus and small creamer potatoes. Well I had everything roasting along nicely on it until the wind blew it out. Of course the darn thing went completely cold. So I had to improvise because now the Chickens were done. Put the Wolf down to 2 burners on the furthest ends. (Stay warm mode). relit the Genesis, full blast, stuck the taters in the microwave, until cooked through. Threw them back on the Genesis until crisped up. I saved the day :D
But I feel like I have been through the wringer today. I was doing lots of yard work up until my dad got here, so I am truly worn out.

What got me is I have accomplished 2 small turkeys at one time on the Wolf without this drama. So I figured "hell 2 little chickens won't give me problems" Ha! I think I am going to try and find some forks for that Wolf rotisserie rod. I may have to do some customizing though. Since it's a 5/8" rod and everything else uses 3/8"

Great story Larry and you pulled it off. Sometimes it's the simple tasks that throw the curve ball at you,
Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you get to be the windshield,

What got me is I have accomplished 2 small turkeys at one time on the Wolf without this drama. So I figured "hell 2 little chickens won't give me problems" Ha! I think I am going to try and find some forks for that Wolf rotisserie rod. I may have to do some customizing though. Since it's a 5/8" rod and everything else uses 3/8"
When I do 2 birds on the spit, I turn them rear to rear and stick the legs of each one into the cavity opening of the other. Keeps them from flopping around and the ends of the legs don't burn.

Back