Best Crispy Skin Rotisserie Chicken Possible on a Genesis East West Gas Grill

High Off Low gave me 350 on my 1000 according to the weber lid thermometer. I think temp was in the 60s, not much wind.
Is that Front Middle Rear burner?

Also, it sounds like you forgot to make a rotisserie chicken when you did that test! They are delicious!

Is that Front Middle Rear burner?

Also, it sounds like you forgot to make a rotisserie chicken when you did that test! They are delicious!
Yes Front High, Middle Off, Rear Low, then Med. and no, I did not forget :D

20211023_181818.jpg

20211023_191531.jpg

I forgot to take a picture until I started cutting, and the boneless skinless thighs were cooked on my new-to-me kettle

20211023_192723.jpg

Last edited:
Well hey! Very nice looking bird!

Did you brine it? Wet or dry?

What did you put on the skin?

That is a good looking chicken, and I really like the cast iron pan drip tray idea! Might steal it (the idea, not the pan)

Well hey! Very nice looking bird!

Did you brine it? Wet or dry?

What did you put on the skin?

That is a good looking chicken, and I really like the cast iron pan drip tray idea! Might steal it (the idea, not the pan)

This cook was not my normal prep. Meal plans changed last minute so this was "expedited" prep.

After a good rinse and scrub, Inside of chicken was seasoned with Montreal chicken. Outside was dried, some kosher salt put on it and it went into the fridge for about an hour.

I trussed it, put on the spit, then shoved half a yellow onion inside the bird.

Seasoned outside with paprika, kosher salt, garlic powder and more Montreal chicken seasoning.

Preheated the grill to about 450, then set it to HOH (front to back).

Chicken and pan went on.

Set burners to HOO. watched temp drop below 350,
Set to HOL and temp came back to 350 quickly.
Set to HOM and temps settled around 375.
Cooked that way for over an hour.
Played with HOH and it went past 400F so I went back to HOM.

I don't have a wireless probe so I had to check temps twice with my thermapen.

It reached target temp before the sides were ready and I just turned off the burners and left it spinning to rest. Grill temp was around 250 and dropping.

Edit. I'm not sure the cast iron was a good idea... It burned my onions faster than if I used an aluminum drip pan. I thought it was a good idea, but I don't think I'll do it again.

This cook was not my normal prep. Meal plans changed last minute so this was "expedited" prep.
Me too. Next time I'm going to get started earlier so I can have less stress and more fun.

Did you use higher temperatures than usual this time?

How was the skin?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Guys, try the Raichlen “Peruvian chicken” it’s a game changer and the best turned bird I think I’ve ever made! That spatchcock last night wasn’t bad but, spun it ain’t.😉

Me too. Next time I'm going to get started earlier so I can have less stress and more fun.

Did you use higher temperatures than usual this time?

How was the skin?

Inquiring minds want to know!
My number one customer for Roti chicken is my youngest kid, who loves moist roast chicken breast, and does not eat the skin. My son said this was delicious, one of the best.

The standard I have is costco chicken, and this was better than Costco.

I like dark meat and crispy skin.

The skin was good, not as crispy as I would like, however I didn't want to risk the breast being dry.

I've only had the roti for a couple of months. This was the first cook on the 13 bar cookbox vs my silver B 5 bar.

I tried slower cooks at 325 once, but...

This was a hotter cook with temps in the 375 to 400 range.

My number one customer for Roti chicken is my youngest kid, who loves moist roast chicken breast, and does not eat the skin. My son said this was delicious, one of the best.

The standard I have is costco chicken, and this was better than Costco.

I like dark meat and crispy skin.

The skin was good, not as crispy as I would like, however I didn't want to risk the breast being dry.

I've only had the roti for a couple of months. This was the first cook on the 13 bar cookbox vs my silver B 5 bar.

I tried slower cooks at 325 once, but...

This was a hotter cook with temps in the 375 to 400 range.
I am finding that as long as I don't let the bird temperature itself get up over 165 the breasts don't dry out at all. That's what I think the key is here. Cooking hot enough to crisp the skin, but not too long to where the meat gets dried out. I'm thinking 400 on the nose is the magic number for rotisserie.
Guys, try the Raichlen “Peruvian chicken” it’s a game changer and the best turned bird I think I’ve ever made! That spatchcock last night wasn’t bad but, spun it ain’t.😉
Fellow Tim, what is the prep for the Peruvian?

-Tim

Here is a "trick" I have done. YMMV but I had decent success. I covered the breast with foil (secured with toothpicks) to keep it from cooking too quickly and toward the end took it off and let the heat rip.

I am finding that as long as I don't let the bird temperature itself get up over 165 the breasts don't dry out at all. That's what I think the key is here. Cooking hot enough to crisp the skin, but not too long to where the meat gets dried out. I'm thinking 400 on the nose is the magic number for rotisserie.

-Tim
Fellow Tim, I feel like I’m talking to myself!😂 I’ll PM you

-Tim
I Googled it.

Thanks Dan, I just sent a link via PM since I was sure it was posted here and didn’t want to “overload” this thread.
Anyone with a taste for big flavor but, not a mouth burning heat, will be happy to test this out, the salt brine is pretty important for the full 8, I might do it as an overnight. I should do this for family dinner on Saturday!

Love it guys, Larry that's a cool idea about the foil! Tim and Dan thanks for the recipe, I will give it a try!

I must say though, the recipe here was pretty freaking delicious too, you guys might try that one if you haven't already!

Back