Best chicken I've ever eaten

Tom Chips

TVWBB All-Star
I was out last night for dinner and went to a BJ's brewhouse where I ordered their roasted chicken. Now I wasn't expecting anything special. The description was rather plain too, in that, it didn't contain any oil or butter in the recipe ( sauce etc)

What I received was the finest example of roasted chicken I've ever had. The meat was tender and perfectly moist, and the skin shattered under the pressure of the knife. Even the golden brown color of the whole piece was perfect. I couldn't help but think that if someone were to turn in something like this in a competition, with a bit of smokiness, they'd be hauling out several trophies.

There were two aspects besides the amazing skin, and perfect doneness that got me thinking about this post. One, is that I could absolutely swear there was a hint of something like bacon grease, or pancetta fat or something, that must have been lightly brushed onto the meat before it went under the broiler. The taste wasn't evident, except for that succulent flavor you get from anything that comes in contact with pork drippings. And two, they kept the seasoning very, very simple. Nary an herb or visible spice on the whole thing. The very light coating of rub or seasoning couldn't have had much other than some salt and garlic powder. No red speckles or black or even herbs. But just simply amazing.

My chaotic schedule has kept me from posting on here in a while, but last nights meal has me dreaming of some chicken, so I'm getting the patio organized and ready for a cook as I type this.

Great day all.

Sounds fantastic Tom, I do love a good roasted chicken, but it's very hard to find. Thanks for the report and thanks for making me hungry again even though I ate lunch only an hour ago...;-)

This sounds like a recipe I found online that goes something like:

Salt and pepper inside and outside of cavity

Separate skin from breast and thighs

Stuff cavity with a bunch of fines herbes (parsley, chives, chervil terragon) or any other mix of herbs you like.

Roast in a pre-heated 500 degree oven until done, about 45 minutes.

Now if you've got a kamado/BGE you could probably get that hot with smoke flavor. Unfortunately my WSM tops out under 400, so this recipe has to be done in the oven. But it's damned good.

Sounds delicious Tom. Finest piece of chicken I have ever had was in Spain. Been there 3 times, had that chicken each time too. I was also not expecting really a whole lot when I ordered it, but it was the main course in a menu del dia for lunch, but it was unreal. I've tried to duplicate at home, but just can't get it the same...and I know how they make it, which is a little frustrating. Lots of garlic, some herbs, lots of olive oil, just roasted. Perhaps the atmosphere has something to do with the taste. without the mediterranean waves in the background, the chicken just doesn't taste as good! A very good piece of chicken is some fine eating in my opinion.

Back