Best Charcoal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have as much experience as some of the guys do with different lumps and they'll be able to share some good info there. Here's my top three:
1) Komado Kamado Extruded Coconut Charcoal - Looooooooong burns
2) Rancher Original Natural Hardwood Charcoal
3) Royal Oak Lump (the red bag)

I've wanted to try Kamado Extruded Coconut Charcoal, but it seems like a pain in the *** to get a hold of some. Kamado's customer service is lousy.

Bill

Hi,

The best is good lump charcoal. In briquettes, I much prefer the natural products to Kingsford.

These would include the Royal Oak Chef's Choice, Stubbs (made by RO) and the Kingsford Competition.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
I've wanted to try Kamado Extruded Coconut Charcoal, but it seems like a pain in the *** to get a hold of some. Kamado's customer service is lousy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, typo, I meant to type "Komodo Kamado. "Different company, see this THREAD. It would actually be pretty easy for you to get some, their warehouse is in Los Angeles and you could pick it up yourself vs. paying shipping. I'm getting ready to place another order myself. Bill, if you're interested in trying a box I'd be happy to pick one up for you when I go to the warehouse and we could meet somewhere along the 405 to deliver it.

Rick,

As for the "best" charcoal.... I don't know. There are, however, products that are attempting the to morph the benefits between pure lump and the standard briquette. Rancher, Kingsford Competition, and Stubbs are a few examples. (Stubbs is a Cowboy product. I have doubts about their quality control) If I don't have a good lump on hand I would not hesitate to use these.

Gary

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
I've wanted to try Kamado Extruded Coconut Charcoal, but it seems like a pain in the *** to get a hold of some. Kamado's customer service is lousy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, typo, I meant to type "Komodo Kamado. "Different company, see this THREAD. It would actually be pretty easy for you to get some, their warehouse is in Los Angeles and you could pick it up yourself vs. paying shipping. I'm getting ready to place another order myself. Bill, if you're interested in trying a box I'd be happy to pick one up for you when I go to the warehouse and we could meet somewhere along the 405 to deliver it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would be interested in trying a box or two. And I'd love to meet you when you come down here. Let me know where and when.

Bill

best is subjective and also depends on availabilty in yer area. i consider ro to be above the middle. as much as i hate kingsford i have to say the new k comp stuff is purty good except for the price. i'll be sticking to ro for now as its easily gotton for a good price and serves me well.

I really like Maple Leaf, but I haven't been able to find it in New England, and understand it is not generally available in the U.S. I have some thoughtful friends who have picked up a few bags for me in Canada, and I save this small stash for very special occasions. The aroma that the maple wood gives off as the coals are heating is sublime. The last time I used it (several months ago), one of my guests said, "Kevin, that smells fantastic! What are you cooking?" I had to tell her that it was just the fuel, and that the food had not yet gone onto the grill.

The closest thing to Maple Leaf that I can get in Connecticut is Basques Nature's Own (white bag w/ black lettering and green trim).

I also find that Basques typically comes in good size chunks, lights reasonably easy, burns hot and long, and doesn't generate an inordinate amount of ash.

My favorite every day lump is Royal Oak, red bag.

If I need briquettes for a longer cook (or a smoke), my default is Original Charcoal Company Rancher - available at my local Trader Joe's at $6.99 for an 18# bag.

Kevin, Where are you getting the "Basques Nature's Own"?
I'm about fifteen miles north of you.

Marc, Wade's Farm Stand on Route 185 in Bloomfield carries Basques. There is also a distributor in Hartford that will sell you individual bags, but since I discovered that Wade's carries the stuff for essentially the same price, I have forgotten who/where the distributor is.

If you call or e-mail Jean Claude at Basques in Canada (link to contact info below), I am sure he would be happy to provide that information.

http://www.basquescharcoal.com/contact.htm

Buttsmoke11_21_086.jpg

Burt
icon_biggrin.gif

As some have said, it depends on the availability in your area. My personal favorite is Steakhouse Charcoal briquettes. These are made by Royal Oak. I have found them to hold a very even temperature when smoking in the WSM. They are a bit bigger than Kingsford and they have a nice smokey flavor when they burn that I think is superior to Kingsford.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathan Sleyster:
As some have said, it depends on the availability in your area. My personal favorite is Steakhouse Charcoal briquettes. These are made by Royal Oak. I have found them to hold a very even temperature when smoking in the WSM. They are a bit bigger than Kingsford and they have a nice smokey flavor when they burn that I think is superior to Kingsford. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used Steakhouse several years ago. It was my favorite. I used to buy at Schnuck's grocery store. It is no longer available at Schnuck's

Hey Dave, you could check to see if their is a Menard's by ya, I've been buying the steakhouse lump from them for the past 6 months now. It's 4.64 for a 8.8lb bag... I think.

Rick, where did you get the Rancher? I was looking for Rancher Briqs. for my Stumps. You could order Wicked good online and if your a member of nebs you get a 5% Dis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back