Best Brisket Yet!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Clay

TVWBB Fan
I've had some pretty good results in the past few months with my WSM. But, today was the BOMB! I did an 8lb brisket flat using the "Brisket smoked-oven finished" method. I followed the instruction almost to the letter and it was the best result I've had yet. Fork tender and exploding with juice. This was the most moist (say that three times fast) result I've had. The meat didn't need any sauce, but I just picked up some from the Salt Lick in Austin and had to use it. Just wanted to share.

What recipe did you use? How long did you smoke then go in oven? Wish I was there to taste!!!

Steven

This is the method I used.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket1.html

I basically followed the recipe verbatim. The only exception being, I foiled the meat when it hit 170. I then ramped up the WSM to about 275 and left the meat on til it hit about 180. I then took it out and put it in a 300 degree oven until the meat hit 205. Let it rest for about 45 minutes and that's it. I'd say that my average cooker temp was about 220. It got as low as 205 once and was up around 245 at one point. However, most of the time it was in the 215 to 230 range.

How long did you have to wait at the Salt Lick? Went there a while back with the better half and had a hour and a half wait. We got the all u can eat meat deal and when I ordered I told them I wanted sauce on the side. Served it to me swimming in sauce. Waitress was nice and brought me back some that tasted like it had not been anywhere near Smoke. Figured that was why they bathed it in sauce. They wre very busy, so I thought they were rushing everything in some oven somewhere. Peeked throuh a window and saw an Oyler, but what I had was not made in it. Was a pretty drive out there but we haven't been back. The wait coupled with the drive and the quality wasn't worth it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Mike, did you go to the original location in Driftwood or the new location? I think it's up your way somewhere. We went at lunch time in the middle of the week to the original. Didn't wait at all. I don't really think their meat is all that great. But I do love their sauce, and now they have a habanero version of the stuff. It's not too hot, and if you mix it 50/50 with the original sauce it's great.

Jim
Nice work on the brisket flats. Once you get the hang of these I promise you will do more. They're inexpensive and require very little prep.

The most compliments I have ever gotten have been about brisket smoked on my WSM.

Peter

Jim,
Went to the original either on a Sat. or Sun. around noon time. Everybody has a bad day now and then. I guess they wre not ready/prepared for thet type of crowd. Will try it again sometime when I am in that neck of the woods. You piqued my interest with that habanero sauce.

Mike /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back