Best BBQ Books

Jeff Wildrick

TVWBB Fan
One of the favorite books in my library is "Peace, Love, and Barbecue." I'd like to read a few more great BBQ books. What I'm looking for is technique and pictures. I'm more concerned about how to smoke than recipes for sauce.

Do you have a favorite? And, why?
-Jeff

I love Chris Lilly's Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book. The pictures are fantastic as well as some technique. The recipies are great as well. I have to make sure I have supplies before I pick it up, because I get crazy hungry within minutes!
icon_smile.gif

Jamie

Here are my two favs (and the only two I own)- more so grilling books than smoking.

Weber's Big Book of Grilling - great book with TONS of pictures. Showing everything from different cuts of steak to step by step how to prepare ribs. It shows everything from direct vs indirect on charcoal and gas - which for beginners is great.

How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques - this was my first book. Also great for the beginner. Shows different types of grills and a lot on charcoal grilling methods. Everything from starting a chimney to making your own garlic butter. There's a lot of recipes in this one that I'll never use - but I think it's still a great resource.

Looking forward to some other recommendations!

I just picked up Serious BBQ by Adam Perry Lang. I made the ribs and sauce this weekend. They were the best ribs I have ever made!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm more concerned about how to smoke than recipes for sauce. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

as far as I know a book like that doesn't exist.

but don't despair. The way I see it, one needs a couple sets of skills to be good at bbq, and as luck would have it these skills aren't all specific to just bbq. So where bbq books lack in good info to save room for 40 rub recipes, other books must suffice.

bbq as I see it:

1)basic animal morphology and butchering
2)muscle tissue composition and effects heat has on it
3)flavorings and flavor profiles
4)fire control

The other interesting thing about bbq books is along with the fact that they lack information, the information they provide is usually suspect. The book you mention "peace, love ..." has a curious part in it about rib sweat, that we went back and forth about a few months ago. I usually buy bbq books for the recipes (see #3 above) and anything that seems curious regarding #2 I'll run by the good folks here for corroboration.

for more on #1, check out this site for pork and this site for beef. I can also point you in the direction of some nice books that tell you what to do with all those muscles.

for more on #2, I'll refer you to Alton Brown's book. Also Harold McGee's book has some good info.

For more on #3, I like to study a world approach to understanding flavor profiles, for that I like Raichlen's "Bbq Bible" and Jim Tarantino's Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures and Glazes.

I don't suspect you'll need help with #4. Heat+Oxygen+Fuel=Fire
icon_wink.gif

HTH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't suspect you'll need help with #4. Heat+Oxygen+Fuel=Fire </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Dad used to explain a 4-cycle engine as SUCK, SQUEEZE, BANG, BLOW

Peace, Love, and Barbeque is great more for the stories than the recipes, although the recipes are great too. I like Adam Perry Lang's book also. but it's a bit too complicated for me. Chris Lilly's book is great as well.

Adam Perry Lang's book is really good. He turned me on to ancho chili powder and I use it on a lot of bbq now. Ditto on everything being complicated - micro-planing 16 garlic cloves for a marinade is a lot of work. I find myself simplifying a lot of the recipes. His method for hot wings is a favorite.

If anyone knows of a similar book please recommend it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm more concerned about how to smoke than recipes for sauce. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

as far as I know a book like that doesn't exist.

but don't despair. The way I see it, one needs a couple sets of skills to be good at bbq, and as luck would have it these skills aren't all specific to just bbq. So where bbq books lack in good info to save room for 40 rub recipes, other books must suffice.

bbq as I see it:

1)basic animal morphology and butchering
2)muscle tissue composition and effects heat has on it
3)flavorings and flavor profiles
4)fire control

The other interesting thing about bbq books is along with the fact that they lack information, the information they provide is usually suspect. The book you mention "peace, love ..." has a curious part in it about rib sweat, that we went back and forth about a few months ago. I usually buy bbq books for the recipes (see #3 above) and anything that seems curious regarding #2 I'll run by the good folks here for corroboration.

for more on #1, check out this site for pork and this site for beef. I can also point you in the direction of some nice books that tell you what to do with all those muscles.

for more on #2, I'll refer you to Alton Brown's book. Also Harold McGee's book has some good info.

For more on #3, I like to study a world approach to understanding flavor profiles, for that I like Raichlen's "Bbq Bible" and Jim Tarantino's Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures and Glazes.

I don't suspect you'll need help with #4. Heat+Oxygen+Fuel=Fire
icon_wink.gif

HTH </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your Beef link goes to the pork link. Could you edit your post with the proper link for the beef. I am looking for a good site on beef.

Thanks

I just picked up a copy of Competition BBQ Secrets by Bill Anderson. Lots of good tips in there that I'm sure would work well for back-yarders (not just for competition). That said, it's a little thin for $35 (including shipping). Only 101 pages in total, with large type and lots of white spaces. I went through it in about an hour and I'm a very slow reader :). Good, clear color images help. I won't say it's the be-all and end-all but it's certainly a welcome addition to my Q'n library.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Your Beef link goes to the pork link. Could you edit your post with the proper link for the beef. I am looking for a good site on beef. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://bovine.unl.edu/bovine3D/eng/nIntro.jsp

I got Lang's book for xmas and I'm waiting for the weather to break before I start to try out his recipes, which if nothing else do look interesting.

but like all other bbq books, the intro is scarce on technique info.

I reference the BBQ Bible quite often.......I also like Reichlen's show on PBS.....very informative IMHO.

I like taking notes and tips from this site and making my own refernce book. Thanks Chris A. for creating this site.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by P. Kelly:
I like taking notes and tips from this site and making my own refernce book. Thanks Chris A. for creating this site. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's have a big AMEN from the congregation!

However, if you want some fun & informative arm-chair reading, that is good for all levels, check-out "Barbeque Secrets" by Ron Sewchuck.
I don't hold everything that he writes as gospel, but I did learn a thing or two, plus got some ideas for some great meals.

Jeff, I really enjoyed "Peace, Love, and Barbecue" as well. My dad grew up in Murphysboro, IL and 17th St. is the first place I ever had real BBQ, so I have a very sentimental attachment to that place. PL&B is the only BBQ book I own; great recipes and helpful hints, and great stories.

I just read Serious BBQ by Adam Perry Lang from my local library. I made a list of pages I wanted to xerox, but realized it would be cheaper to just buy the book (c/o my wife's gift card -- thanks hon!).
I highly recommed the book. Intelligent writing on smoking, grilling, what to look for in meat selection, etc. Also, great recipes for pork tenderloin, lamb, beef shank, and steaks; as well as the usual brisket, pork butt, and ribs.

I have read several books, including the above mentioned 'Competition Barbecue Secrets', but it was very dissapointing. Most of these books have 10 pages of basic info on smoking and 100 pages of recipes. If you want a great book, get Gary Wiviot's 'Low and Slow-Learn the art of BBQ in 5 Easy Lessons'. This book explains how to smoke on three types of smokers-a Weber Kettle, a Smoey Mountain, and an offset. He gives step by step instructions on using each smoker, and explains how to produce good BBQ better than any book I've read. My BBQ has gotten much better since I read it last year because I understand my cooker better and I understand what the key is to good BBQ-a clean burning fire. You won't be dissapointed. He also has a website with a forum where he answers questions himself.

Ditto on Big Bob Gibson's BBQ book. I'm dying to try the chicken with white BBQ sauce.

I like Raichlen's BBQ Bible for good all around grill and smoke. He truly is a Q anthropologist so good recipe fundamentals.

I newb on WSM and I bought Ron Lutz's Whatcha need to know to Barbeque like a Pro and it was helpful.

Paul Kirk's BBQ books are good for rub ideas and many many ideas for fish, seafood and sausages.

Forgot the Low Carb book for any fellow diabetics out there:
The Low Carb Barbecue Book by Dana Carpender. Some interesting details on the various types of fake sugar and what can cook and what can't, artificial honey etc.

Back