Bent vent

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well, after many happy cooks on my WSM, we have incurred some damage. I blamed it on my kids because I don't recall doing it...but I was wrong once or twice before, so I guess I could be again.

Here's the deal: one of the vent hole covers got bent basically in half (90 degrees). I pushed it back down best I could but it still doesn't fit quite right. I looked on the parts list here at this site but did not see one of those listed. Anybody know if these are available, or have any ideas for making this fit better?

Well.....
You made that look easy! Thanks, Doug. I'm gonna get some shipped up here.

Chris....

I have had bent vents on one of my WSM's for over 5 years. It will never be able to be closed tight, unless you replace it. I personally see no reason to fool with replacing.

You can easily adapt...the cooker will work just fine with these small defects. It may take a couple of cooks to get the hang of some new vent openings, but it will work just fine.

I travel so much with mine that I would be replacing vents every week.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris R:
[qb]I looked on the parts list here at this site but did not see one of those listed.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The detailed list of part numbers can be found on the Parts Schematic page.

You will have to drill-out the aluminum rivet from the inside using a 1/4" bit to remove the old damper. It's a tough bugger, so take your time working on it.

I don't think I could live with a damper that didn't fit flush to the bowl, but I've had my share of non-WSM projects where I thought I was going to make something better and ended up making it worse and wishing I'd never done it, so Stogie's point is well taken.

Just do what makes sense to you and what you're comfortable doing.

Good luck,
Chris

Really the bent cover is no big deal from an operational standpoint -the amazing little machine still chugs away at the correct temperature like it always did. Which is to say nearly as well as one of the commercial 'set it and forget it' electrically operated ones.

I guess I just wanna replace it 'cuz it just ain't right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back