Belligerent Butts

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Was able to work at home today. I had earlier in the week planned to cook up 2 butts, on the cooker. Rubbed both of them down with Bruce Borjkman Rub (Circa 1993) last night. Got the fire going at 7 this morning, and finished the deed by, showing these dead pig parts their new home. Weather has turned for the worst, about 12?F with the wind chill, and these two pigs have stalled. It's 4:50 now and I was shooting for a 9:30 dinner. If they sit at 160? much longer it might be baloney and cheese. Stay warm everyone, and light some candles for me. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Jim

Well if these two oinkers think I'm going to induce CPR on them, they are sorely mistaken. It's my knife and fork, against their dead butts.
I don't care if I have to wait all night.
By the way, you think that's how Smokey Hale got his nickname?
Have a good weekend Jim

Jim

You Jims are funny! Smoked pork butt is good for breakfast, too....

Kelly

Jim
No doubt!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
You have good too!!
Kelly
One time in KC a taxi drive told us he loved BBQ, but he was no fanatic. He only had BBQ 7 or 8 times a week (for lunch and/or dinner) but he was no fanatic. He didn't have for breakfast like others, well more than a couple of times a week, as he said he was no fanatic.
Jim

LOL Jim! I can totally relate to that taxi driver. But, I'm no fanatic either..... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kelly

Probably a little late for this the last time i did butts I cheated and wrapped them after about 9 hrs and they went from 160 to 185 in about 1.5-2hrs! I figure if the Q's good it ain't cheatin'

Wrap up:

Finally hit 190? right around 10p.m. These were virgin butts, no foil, no tricks. Luckily we are in March Madness and time really meant nothing. Made up some baked potato skins filled with a few slices of red, pickled jalapeno peppers and some cheese to take the edge off of waiting. Kept the butts wrapped up for an hour and then pulled one for eating. Cheap buns, made up a easy sauce of 1/4 cup white and 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar mixed in some hot pepper flakes, and black pepper and fell into heaven. The rub is fantastic for pork.

Jim

Mine went on last night at 9:30, 17 hours later, I'm at 185 and about to toss in the cooler.

From 11:30 pm to 8:30 am, I didn't have to touch the smoker. Got up twice to make sure. Added some more charcoal around 9 because I didn't think I had enought to finish the job. Had to run all over town from 10-2 doing Dad things. Got back just in time to pull the pork off the smoker.

I feel sorry for my friend who bought a Traeger. He's had some fire problems with his pellet cooker and wouldn't think of abandoning it for nine hours. I tried to tell him the WSM was the way to go. At least I was able to talk him into Paul's class.

Darren

Darren
What is his problem? I have one and as long as you have power there is no problem.
See you at Paul's class.
Jim

Jim, he's lost his fire a couple of times. He'll be glad to get some pointers from a pro. (He's a helluva cook, and willing to learn more. You'd have loved the leg of lamb he cooked for us last week.) His pit will be at the class and he's as excited as I am to attend . It was advertised in the Oregonian on Tuesday. (Can our wives crash the party in the afternoon?)

Now about my butts. Thanks to you all, I am a BBQ god! These were, without a doubt, the best shoulders I've ever cooked. I pulled one and fed nine adults and eight kids. The second sat in the cooler for five hours till everybody left. I unwrapped it and "pulled" it with a pair of tongs. Unbelievabley moist and tender. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Some of you may have no idea how helpful you've been, please keep posting.

The mustard sauce I made, http://bbqcentral.hypermart.net/amregions/southcarolina.html
South Central Carolina Gold VII, was quite tasty. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back