Beginner Question

Gary Hodgin

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm new to smoking. About a month ago I purchased a 18.5 WSM but haven't used it yet. It's been way to hot for me to do much of anything outside. I've read quite a bit and there's a lot of good info on this site.

It seems temp control is very important and one of the automatic control systems would be a good thing, especially for someone with little experience and for long smokes.

I've been thinking about one of the new Stoker Wifi systems. I've done some reading about the Stoker at Rock's website and talked to him about a system. I haven't done a lot of comparison shopping cause the Stoker seems pretty good. I want a pit probe and a couple of meat probes. Right now I have a Weber remote gauge that I use for grilling.

I would like some information and should have asked Rock, but I thought you guys would know. I would like to use the system without messing with my computer router and network stuff. I know very little about this stuff and would like to go as simple as possible at first. Can I use the Stoker as a stand alone without networks, ethernets, and such? I just want to plug the thing in, get readings from the pit and meat probes, and have the blower turn on when temp is below target and cut off when temp is above target. I might want to include some of the other nice features once I get the basics down.

Thanks,
Gary

Absolutely! The computer connection only makes it "easier" to monitor and control... and to do so from inside the house. Without the computer, it still has the same basic functionality -- that being, it will hold a given temperature, and allow you to monitor. I was in your shoes a couple years ago... I got the Stoker and have been nothing but pleased!

Dave,
Great, I thought I probably could but just wasn't sure. My experience with routers and network stuff hasn't been pleasant. I have wireless at home but always have problems with something goes wrong.
Thanks,
Gary

It's really not all that bad... but I can understand the hesitation to jump in with the networking stuff.

If you have any other questions, fire away... somebody here will be able to answer!

If wifi is a problem you might want to look at one of these network devices.
PowerLine ethernet
They allow you to make an ethernet connection over your home wiring. I believe the lastest Stokers allow a static IP address.

Curt

Thanks guys. The weather around here is suppose be quite a bit cooler next week (after a few days of rain) so I plan to give the smoker a try with a small butt or chicken. I'll see how it goes and more than likely order a Stoker. I think I read where it's taking about 4 to 6 weeks for orders to be filled.
Gary

I would encourage you to do a cook or two without an automatic temperature controller first. It is good to know how to arrange the fuel, get it started and where the top and bottom vents should be for a steady temperature. It is a lot easier to make the smoker hotter than cooler so you want to sneak up on your target temperature. I would encourage you to attempt chicken or ribs first because you are look at 1 - 6 hours (where a butt is more like 16 hours). The Stoker is a great product and I tend to use it for all my smokes now but I also know my smoker well enough to do it the old fashion way too. BTW, I believe Rock is finalizing the WiFi part of the software now. If you aren't comfortable with computers you may want to wait and purchase your Stoker when it comes preloaded with WiFi. That way you won't have to upgrade the firmware on the Stoker (which isn't difficult to do). Enjoy!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A. Vale:
I would encourage you to do a cook or two without an automatic temperature controller first. It is good to know how to arrange the fuel, get it started and where the top and bottom vents should be for a steady temperature. It is a lot easier to make the smoker hotter than cooler so you want to sneak up on your target temperature. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a great idea and I would add: use your stoker to monitor the temperatures with the probes placed where you think they will give you the most accurate temperature readings. Note reading differences between the built in thermometer, and if available an oven thermometer placed inside the smoker. You may be surprised at the variations. Adjustments to the probe placement and Stoker set temperature may be required.

Curt

A. Vale,
Thanks for the recommendation. I'd planned on using a few times before I used the Stoker. I'm planning on smoking a chicken or a small pork tenderloin sometime with a week or so. As I understand it, there's a 4-6 weeks delay in receiving one. But, I'll follow your recommendation and wait till the preloaded version is available.
Gary

If its easy you're looking for I'd go with the pitmaster 110. Not that I don't see a lot of value in the Stoker or the Guru but I'm a fan of the simplicity of the IQ 110. Just an opinion.

I have the new Stoker Black Box and am waiting on the wifi software (September hopefully). Per the above, it's originally made for direct cooks and works great. I did 2 racks of spares last night with cool temps and gusty wind and I held 250F +/- 5F for 6 hrs.
I fully agree with the posts above about getting to know your WSM without the ATC. It's good fun to sit outside on a sunny day and watch how small vent adjustments impact temps. Also, you need to know how to load/stack the ring, reload if required, access the 2nd grate, fill the pan if you're using liquid, foil the pan if you want and light the cooker properly for Minion and higher temp cooks.
Finally, don't be afraid of the Wifi. The guys at Rock's can talk you through it once the software is released. Picture monitoring your cook on your laptop or smartphone while watching reruns of Roseanne on the couch. I can't wait.

I use mine in "stand alone" mode all the time. Nice thing is if you ever want to expand your usage and start controlling from your computer, iPad, Smart Phone or use Stokerlog for graphing etc. you have an upgrade path on the unit you own.

But again, stand alone works great too. Good luck.

Back