Beginner challenges

MMirza

Hi all,

I hope everyone is healthy and safe.

During the lockdown, I've been busy exploring outdoor cooking - and it's great.
As with any new experience, I've been facing a few challenges and I'm hoping you guys can help.

Before I tell you what those challenges are, let me detail my setup so you know what I'm working with
1. Weber Original Classic Kettle 57cm
2. Weber Chimney Starter
3. Charcoal Briquettes
4. Weber Lighter Cubes
5. Temperature probe, heat gloves and the other basics essentials

Right, so the challenges are;

1. Cooking temperature - I'm struggling to maintain the BBQ temperature as time goes. When I first pour the coal into the grill, it easily reaches about 500F. It soon starts steadily dropping, and I have to add more briquettes to keep it around 350-400F. Its worth mentioning that I normally use a two heat zone setup, with the coal on just one side. Am I paying too much attention to temperature? Or am I missing a trick somewhere?

2. As mentioned, I normally use the two heat zone setup. I've also noticed when I spin the cooking grate so that the meat is being indirectly cooked, I'm not getting any smoke flavouring the food. I make sure the air vent is above the meat to direct the smoke but it doesn't seem to work

3. Up till now, I've only BBQd chicken legs, because I've been told they're easy for beginners. Is a drip pan necessary for all cookouts, or only certain ones in particular? If so, how does one decide

4. Like I mentioned, I've only cooked chicken up till now. I'm now ready to diversify, and want to get onto lamb BBQs, steaks in particular. I'd love some advice on how to get started, the differences between chicken and lamb, and any other advice.

Apologies in advance for the long post, and I'm really looking forward to your help.

Thank you!

How are your chicken legs turning out; are you happy with the results (other than lack of smoke)?
You mentioned you have a temperature probe - are you referring to a lid mounted or food probe?

1. 500° is great for steaks (beef) & burgers but pretty hot for chicken. If you want to maintain that temperature, try putting the lid on a little off center so there is a small opening between the lid & the bowl for more airflow.

2. To get smoke flavoring, add wood chunks or chips to your coals. Fruit woods like apple & cherry are great for chicken. Mesquite has a stronger smoke flavor & is better for beef. Start out with a small amount of wood initially & add more to your next cook if you want more smoke flavor.

3. The only time I use a drip pan is if I'm cooking beans under the meat. I'm cheap - I use aluminum foil anytime I'm cooking indirect. I lay a piece of foil on the charcoal grate where the coals "ain't" (Charcoal baskets greatly simplify the process). This also helps with temps - air coming from the bottom vents has to go through the coals.

4. I have no experience with lamb but I'm sure someone will chime in, who does. You've come to a wonderful place with a bunch of great & helpful people who will always steer you in the right direction!
Good luck & welcome!

1. It totally depends on what you're cooking and what temp (roughly) at which you'd like to cook. If you're looking for roasting temps, say, 350-400, don't start with all of your coals lit. Put a whole bunch in that are unlit first; light maybe a quarter chimney at most, dump them on and around the unlit, load in whatever you're roasting, then use adjustments to lower and upper vents to get your temps where you want them. Don't rush it.

2. Yes, as Brian says, wood chunks or chips (or pellets). For chips or pellets put them (about 1/2 cup) in a foil pouch tightly sealed with a tiny hole (pencil-sized) in the foil. Just one hole. Put the packet on lit coals.

3. I sometimes use a foil pan (just handmade out of foil) for longer cooks of fattier meat- pan in the middle, meat above the pan, coals on either side - so prevent fats from dripping through the vent holes necessitating major clean-up.

4. Lamb, it depends on the cut: whole shoulder for a low/slow cook? rib chops hot and fast? roasted leg of lamb bone-in? butterflied lamb leg boned, stuffed, rolled and tied?

I cook chicken legs/thighs around once a week on my Weber Performer Deluxe(WPD) fitted with a SlowNSear Plus, SlowNSear Easy Spin Grate and their Drip Pan which I bought around two(2) years ago. I load my WPD with a Weber small-size chimney amount of Kingsford Matchlight Charcoal and when fully-lit I add around severn(7) more unlit Kingsford Blue-Bag Briquets on-top of the lit charcoal. Using this method I am able to maintain a average temperature of around 400F for around 1 1/2 hours, however, my chicken generally is pulled in about one(1) hour when reaching an internal temperature of around 180F.

Along with the chicken I foil two(2) medium size potatoes and place them directly on the lit coals, turn-them-over in fifteen(15) minutes and then cook for additional fifteen(15) minutes which turn-out great. The SlowNSear Easy Spin Grate makes this a breeze as it has a removable small rack in which I can place these potatoes directly on the lit coals.

When the WPD reaches cooking temperature I place the chicken opposite the lit-charcoal side for around fifty(50) minutes then spin the grate over to the lit-charcoal side for around ten(10) minutes turning the chicken pieces every couple of minutes directly over the lit-charcoal.

Of note, the SlowNSear Drip Pan lined with aluminum foil makes clean-up of the WPD "No Problema"!

Also, I am not associated in any-way with SlowNSear.com except for being one-happy customer in which I have Purchased four(4) of their excellent products over the last few years.

Last edited:
For shorter cooks like chicken I’d recommend using wood chips to add smoke flavor, placing them over the hot coals when you put food on. Mesquite chips will give you a strong flavor so use sparingly, apple wood may be best for drumsticks.

As for lamb I love doing lamb chops. They sell racks for good price at Costco. Here’s an easy recipe I’ve done before with great results:

Enjoy your new Kettle!

Cheers,
Kyle

I use hickory bark when I am grilling, it doesn't take much to leave a great flavor, if your smoking chunks is what I use, if you prefer to not add wood, Kingsford has charcoal with hickory, apple and mesquite already mixed in that works great. no pan here as the left over ashes catch and hold the grease, my performer has a catch bowl under it so never had a problem with grease . Its addicting for sure and many a man has started down the path with a 22" Weber, most never leave the Weber but add other styles and methods to enjoy fire and smoke

Back