Beetle Kill Pine on Genesis 1000

Mills Ripley

I found an old Genesis 1000 on Craigslist which I cleaned, painted, and generally fixed up using tips from this forum. Thanks!

The wood slats and handle were in rough shape. I replaced them with beetle kill pine and I think it looks pretty good. We had an explosion of pine beetles here in Colorado a few years back. It happens every 80 years or so, they say. These beetles attack lodgepole pine and inject a fungus into the wood that allows them to digest the wood but also leaves a blue stain. We don't have any logging operations to speak of here, so the wood I got at Home Depot is most likely from the Canadian Rockies. I used spar urethane with UV protection. Of course, it instantly turned the blue streaks grey but it also darkened them so they stand out more.

I still need the hardware to make the drop-down table. If anyone has a source for these parts, could you please point me to them? Thanks in advance.

IMG_1686.jpegIMG_1687.jpegIMG_1689.jpeg

Welcome to the forum, Mills. Great job on that grill and your wood looks great! The only source for the missing parts you need at this point is another grill that has what you need. That's unless someone here has extra parts that they would be willing to part with.

Welcome. I like that wood as well. Good job sizing it up. Your best bet is to find those parts on another donor grill. I know of no one that makes them any longer. If you keep your eyes open on CL and FB MP and other sale sites, you should find what you need soon enough.

Mills, Welcome to TVWBB! That’s a real beauty and very cool looking wood. Like others have said, you will probably have to wait out a “donor” grill. That can actually be part of the fun. Just beware that when you drag a second old Weber home you don’t get infected with Weberitis. Next thing you know you will have a half dozen!

Thanks guys. I found that the ship lap they have at HD is just slightly thinker then the original slats, so I went with a nominal 8'x6" strip of that for around 9 bucks. Shoot, I spent twice that much on the urethane finish. Anyway, table saw, chop box, and sander made short work of it.

As to the drop down table, I'll keep my eye out locally. If nothing else when I go visit my son in a couple of months I'll take some measurements off of his and figure out a way to fabricate something. Yes, it runs in the family. :-)

Oh yeah, I went to the local library and they trained me up on their 3D printer so I'm going to attempt an ignition thumbswitch and bezel later this week. If only they had a metal shop.

Now I've got to figure out how to cook on this thing. I'm still getting used to it.

Post a wanted ad. They turn up sometimes. I think I have a spare, yet I recall it is very rough.

I'll be digging through my genesis x000 parts in a few weeks, but a getting a donor is a good plan for other parts you might need

Back