Beer Can Chicken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, speaking of beer can chicken -- has anyone tried Weber's new beer can chicken thingamabob they are advertising? I've had at least two occasions where my clumsy handling resulted in knocking over a very hot bird and can.

Summer 2002 was my "Summer of Poulty"
with the WSM.

I tried the beer-can method several times.
I prefer spatchcocking.

I never bought into the notion
of gaining flavour/moisture using
the beer-can method.

Spatchcocking (along with brining)
was easier to handle, cooked more evenly,
and by all accounts (family), tasted better.

In steve raichlens "How to Grill" there is a great pictorial on how to spatchcock a bird. For that mater he also has a great article on beer can chicken (he even has a new cookbook called "Beer can chicken" I love beer can chicken on the weber grill but not so much on the smoker. I can get plenty of smoked flavor on the grill with a few soaked chips and get the coals and get the nice crispy skin I can't get from the WSM. I dont think you get the steaming effect in the WSM you do on the grill because tempratures are too low to achieve that. If your not getting the steaming effect I would suggest a couple of things. 1)Take less beer out of the can. 2)Heat the beer up prior to putting it in the bird. I love the flavor from this method of cooking but agree that it is not ideally suited for the WSM

I've never done the beer can chix on the WSM, but after a few times of doing them on the grill, I gave them up...seemed too much like rotisserie chicken to me...almost identical. I love the idea of smoking them because I think the meat would be flavored better, but not sure about the skin texture, and the temps do seem to be too low to get the good steaming. Still, I haven't done it. Better cooks probably can do it just fine..

I have done beer can chicken and to me the best way to do chickens is the simplest way. What I do is chop up some garlic and put underneath the skin and try to separate the skin from the meat by gently pulling it away. Then I take my favorite rub and sprinkle all over inside and out. I use my simpson grill and cook at least 500 deg. I just place the chicken in the center of the grill and cook indirect for 45-50 minutes and voila! Really crisp skin and super juicy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back