beer can chicken W/smoke?

Bill Beach

I want to do a beer can chicken but I want to use the WSM as kinda a combination roaster/smoker. I would like to get the temps up to and hold 350 degrees. My question is should I put any water in the pan at all, and if I am able to maintain 350 will the skin come out as if roasted in the oven? I plan on adding smoke wood maybe pecan or apple to the coals. Any thoughts or experiences with this would be much appreciated.

Bill

Use a water pan to protect from direct heat. But leave the water pan empty. The evaporating water helps maintain a low and slow cook but is not good for high temperature cooks.

Russell

If you leave the water pan empty - which I think is a good idea, personally - you might consider putting some foil in the pan and try to "stretch it tight" so that it doesn't come in contact with the bottom of the pan. I've managed to scorch some rendered fat in the bottom of pans before, but doing the foil layer in the pan above the heated bottom surface really helped. This is how I did a prime rib last Christmas-time, and I didn't end up with any burning drippings. They were even decent enough to use for an au jus.

You could try sand in the water pan. It can help hold a level temp.

The dry heat will help crisp up the skin. Don't forget to plug up the neck hole so it steams from the inside out.

Back