beer can chicken monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Ir

TVWBB Member
Hey guys, I am doing 4 racks of ribs and a HUGE 7.8 pound chicken. I have done many around 3 -4 pound range and they get done @ 4 hours. Since the ribs take 6 hours, I am putting the monster on the same time and will check it at the four hour mark, my instinct is it will take alot longer because of the size, any opinions???

I do chicken fairly often and usually 3 - 4 lbs'. I butterfly them, divide into halves and marinade overnight in WB Italain. Mine usually take aroumd 4 + hrs. If you're going to do the big one whole, I would guess your time estimate is pretty close. I suppose the presentation of the big bird would be impressive, but I think the seasoning, etc penetrates better when they are butterflied. You do want to be careful to get the chicken to the right temp but not too much beyone. A probe in the thigh and pull at 180, maybe 175 and let it rest in loose foil, would be the way to go.

Sounds like good eats are on the way.

Paul

Big Ir

Make sure you put the chicken on the bottom rack, so raw juices from the chicken doesn't drip from the top rack on to the ribs.

Thanks guys, and yes it is on the bottom rack. I am 2 1/4 hours into the cook and have not opened the lid. Will let you know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back