Beer Can Chicken Holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erich K

TVWBB Fan
Just an FYI...Anyone interested in doing "beer can" chicken, I happened across a metal holder specifically made for doing beer can chicken at Walmart yesterday. It was only about $4.00 and actually looks quite sturdy. Check it out in the BBQ section, I'm assuming Walmarts are about the same around the US and have the same stuff, etc..

Erich,
Personally I prefer the original beer can chicken holder. The beer can. I believe this is one of the greatest recipes ever thought up, especially since the first step is to drink a half can of beer. How can you improve on that?
Don

Forget beer can chicken!

The best way to do whole chickens (in my opinion) is a vertical stand that allows you to stand the chicken upright with it's legs in the air. This allows the fat from the dark meat to drip down over the breasts, keeping them moist.

This is the only way that I will do whole chickens now.

Your pal,
Bill

Doug D,
That's it exactly /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif How do you like it? For four bucks I couldn't pass it up.

Erick

Got two myself to day, but got home to late to try them out tonight, Will do chicken tomorrow.

Charlie

I'm still a big fan of butterflying them....but thats just me. Stand looks like it would be much more sturdy than just the can. I have watched people topple their beer can chickens while tending them. They can be unstable if your cooking a big bird. I generally cook 8lb birds....any smaller seems a waist of good smoke. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

I've also seen them at Lowe's. I used to make beer can chicken with just the beercan and it's really unstable. The beercan holder is solid.

If you position the legs so they form a solid tripod with the can, I find it's really stable.

One of those links I posted has a holder that even removes the worry some of you have had about the paint on the can (the chicken goes over some metal posts that surround the can and thus never touches the can).

I think Uncle Buster's is the best bet tho--you can do up to four chickens at once in about a foot of space. Nice!

I'm assuming the Buster's holder fits on the WSM with 4 chickens? It's hard to tell just how big it is from the picture.

Cabelas has the vertical stands for both chickens and turkey. They look like the $20 models made by others, but are much cheaper ($9 for 2 chicken stands, $6 for a turkey stand).

I hate paying for shipping so I'm going there this weekend and getting some in person.

Whats the point of doing beer-can chicken if you dont use a frickin beer can!

Thats half the fun /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Erich K:
[qb] Just an FYI...Anyone interested in doing "beer can" chicken, I happened across a metal holder specifically made for doing beer can chicken at Walmart yesterday. It was only about $4.00 and actually looks quite sturdy. Check it out in the BBQ section, I'm assuming Walmarts are about the same around the US and have the same stuff, etc.. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have two of the Wal-mart units and they work just fine. Although I still prefer the spatchcock/butterfly method.

Brian, most of these still require a beer can (as opposed to a vertical roaster, which doesn't). it just makes it more stable so you don't get scalding beer on yourself an ruin your chicken.

Frank, I think Buster's 4 chicken holder said it takes up a square foot, so yeah, it should fit a weber.

Michael,

The stand that John L linked in his post should do the trick (the picture even shows the chicken with the legs up).

If you ask me, cooking legs up on a vertical roaster is the only way to go. I think it will come out more moist than the beer can method. So don't waste your beer, drink it.

Your pal,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back