Beer Butt Chicken

Matt Eppert

I have never done this on my 22.5 and just bought 4 farm fresh chickens. I am wondering if it would be a problem to do 2 on the bottom grate and 2 on the top grate, while following the beer can chicken directions in the cooking topic section of the site? Any help would be much appreciated!

Are we talking a WSM? Then it will be no problem at all...but cant you fit all 4 on the top grate?

A well NO Problem what so ever.

sure go ahead....2 over 2 open the vents and let 'er rip at 325-350.....Cherry is a great wood choice for this.

I don't have a WSM (yet), so I do mine on my kettle and I use apple chips. I recently got some cherry chips and I'm gonna use them on my next BBC. A touch of hickory was also very tasty!

Yeah 2 per grate with the breast facing inward. Do one without a can at all and let us know if you can taste a difference.

I remember reading one guy's experiment using beer in one can and water in another and not being able to taste a difference. He did, however, indicate that if you'll crush some herbs and put them in the can with the liquid of your choice, you should be able to taste that.

No problem with four on top:

DSC_0002.jpg

I just hit the 3 hour mark. Average lid temp is 340. I used my redi check and the breast was 161 and thigh was 169. I took one off and cut the leg off and it DID NOT look done! What do I do? Thanks for all your replies!

Back