Beer Barbecue Sauce

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I have no idea where I found this recipe. If you know, please let me know, thanks. It does sound good.

Beer Barbecue Sauce

1 cup beer
1/2 ts. salt
1 cup catsup
1/3 cup vinegar
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 TB. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 medium-size onion, sliced
1 small lemon, sliced

Combine all ingredients except onion and lemon, in a saucepan; bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat, and simmer about 5 minutes. Add onion and lemon; simmer about 2 minutes. Use on ribs, hamburgers, frankfurters, and chicken. Yield: 2 1/2 cups.

Source: ?

Hrrrm...... the relatively fresh onions & I would not coexist peacefully ('d just saute them down a bit.) The rest of it looks pretty good. The character of the sauce will change drastically depending on what beer you use. I'd lean towards something relatively low hopped, and probably low to mid malty. A Belgian dubbel would be about the biggest style I'd consider, on the light side, any of the mass market lagers would work just fine.

The regular Guinness stout should work well, it's mildly hopped and is a nice light beer (in spite of it's color.)

Hrrrm...... the relatively fresh onions & I would not coexist peacefully ('d just saute them down a bit.) The rest of it looks pretty good. The character of the sauce will change drastically depending on what beer you use. I'd lean towards something relatively low hopped, and probably low to mid malty. A Belgian dubbel would be about the biggest style I'd consider, on the light side, any of the mass market lagers would work just fine.
I agree, cooking the onions would be a good idea, I might even go all out and caramelize them. A little Shinerbock or Negro Modelo, or Dos Equis dark would be my my picks for this sauce. I may have to try this recipe sometime.

I agree, cooking the onions would be a good idea, I might even go all out and caramelize them. A little Shinerbock or Negro Modelo, or Dos Equis dark would be my my picks for this sauce. I may have to try this recipe sometime.
I like the short cooking time but other than on a burger, I would dice the onions.

Back