Been trying different commercial rubs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
to get different ideas for my own rubs.

So now I have a question about OBQ Sweet and OBQ Sweet and Heat... is that cinammon & cardamon that I am tasting? Maybe Tarragon?

If you are loking for rub ideas...the best source for use and blending of spices for rubs, sauces and marinades is.......
Paul Kirk's Championship Barbeque Sauces
It has about everything you'll want.

I actually already own that book... it is kind of part of the reason why I am currently testing all of these different commercial rubs.

I am experimentig with my own rub but I want to see what some of the more popular or award winning rubs taste like...

Then I might decide to alter my rub based upon my tastings...

Red Hot and Blue, a chain of Memphis-style BBQ restaurants has a rub I like a lot that they sell. You might try it sometime and see if there are elements of the flavor you'd like to incorporate. It's gota fair bit of MSG in it.

Hi Spyro,
A rub that I really like is Texas rib rangers. great balance of taste . The celery seed
gives it a great flavor.

I really like the OBQ rubs, I believe that the sweet does have some cinnamon in it. I like the Texas Bigbull's Brisket rub, very heavy on ancho chile powder, but very tasty.

My favorite rubs - most are local to Kansas City - are:

Jack Stack original: Brisket, but good on anything
Smokin' Guns Mild and/or Hot (I like mixing them): Anything
The Squeal Rub (from Oklahoma Joe's in KCK): Pork
OBQ Texas Bigbulls: Brisket
Willingham's Original: Almost anything
Winslow's Yard Bird Rub: Chicken (VERY Spicy, but great on wings)

The only rub that I love but have to be careful with is KC Rib Doctor. It's very tasty but pretty spicy...lots of black pepper, and my family is a little sensitive to it. Guy Simpson's a neat guy, though, so I always keep some on hand to support the local guys. ;-)

Hey, Spyro maybe a few of the folks would share their favorite rubs in the recipe section. As I started smoking, I found an easy and good vinegar sauce recipe and a tomatoe / KC style sauce I liked but I have NOT found RUB recipes that I have stuck with. Any help would be appreciated.

DWAIN,

I retasted the OBQ Sweet and I am now of the opinion that it's unique taste is from the use of cinnamon, cardamon and clove.

STEVE,

I started down this path in an effort too see what some of the winning rubs taste like in an effort to create a "winning" rub.

What I have learned is this, there really is no consistant theme amongst these winning rubs but you seperate them into 4 distinct styles.

Some are heavy pepper...

Some are heavy paprika...

Some are heavy sugar...

Some are heavy salt...

The funny thing is that 3 of the more popular rubs out there (Head Country, Butt Rub & Blues Hog) each fall into a different style.

So far, I have liked the heavy pepper rubs with a sweet BBQ sauce.

However, most of my taste testers liked heavy sugar rubs with a sweet bbq sauce.

It beat out heavy salt rubs with a sweet sauce by a narrow margin.

Anyway, while my taste testing is nowhere near done yet, it has confirmed some of my previously formed beliefs...

1) I eat spicer and hotter than most.

2) Most people love SWEET.

Spyro, this sent me back to Kirk's book. After the basics...which of the 'other' spices do you like? I have not tried the cinnamon,clove and allspice group. They are not my first choice. I have used garlic,onion,oregano and thyme. What are your thoughts?
P.S. SWEET sells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back