Beefed in translation. Full "Flat iron" cut. To smoke or to sear?

So I am translating between American and german beef cuts. (Nut? *** is a Nut?)

Anyways, I got a complete "shovel piece". It has a long tendon in the middle. Traditionally you braise this piece, or you cut out the tendon and you have the american flat iron steaks.

I saw a dude who smoked his shovel piece like a brisket pulled beef. However, the meat looks a bit lean. More lean than the beef ribs I did.

I could also smoke it to medium like a roastbeef, but I think it has too much collagen to truly shine there.

I could cut the piece and sear me some nice flat iron steaks, I could smoke it like a roastbeef, or I could smoke it to 200F internal like a brisket. Does anybody have smoking experience with the full "flat iron" cut from the chuck?

Last edited:
I've never done it but Leroy and Lewis a barbecue joint in Austin has started serving it. I can't find a video of how they do it.

Here is a video I found of a guy smoking it. He's cooking it more like abrisket and slicing.

Thanks for the video. Great, I ended up with the cut I originally wanted. I read people were doing a "chuck roast" as a small brisket. "Chuck" is a wonderfully unspecific term. I have at least 5 different german cuts in the "chuck" area, each with at least 3 more regional synonyms.

But I have insporations for dirty talk tonight. How about "Kruspelspitz"

Back