Beef Short Ribs?

Ivan Stratton

TVWBB Fan
I have searched the site but havent found a definitive recipe and technique for short ribs. I found them at a local meat market for $2.49 lb. and they looked great so I bought a bunch of them. Im thinking about rubbing them in the yum-yum seasoning thats in the cooking topics section then smoking them in the WSM until they get to around 160 then I was thinking about foiling them to finsh either in a aluminum pan or just wrapping them in foil until they were tender. Then I was thinking about putting a BBQ sauce on them and cooking on the performer until the sauce sets. Kind of a combination of the high heat brisket and the BRITU technique. What do you guys think. I make them alot but usually just braise them in my dutch oven in the oven.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ivan Stratton:
I have searched the site but havent found a definitive recipe and technique for short ribs. I found them at a local meat market for $2.49 lb. and they looked great so I bought a bunch of them. Im thinking about rubbing them in the yum-yum seasoning thats in the cooking topics section then smoking them in the WSM until they get to around 160 then I was thinking about foiling them to finsh either in a aluminum pan or just wrapping them in foil until they were tender. Then I was thinking about putting a BBQ sauce on them and cooking on the performer until the sauce sets. Kind of a combination of the high heat brisket and the BRITU technique. What do you guys think. I make them alot but usually just braise them in my dutch oven in the oven. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would cook over indirect med-high heat (300º-325º) with a couple chunks of wood of your choice for flavoring for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Then put in a foil pan with your choice of liquid/sauce, etc., cover and cook until almost tender and finish with a minimal sear for char/texture.

Smoked short ribs is my girlfriends favorite. I marinate them overnight in beer garlic and green onions then seasoning salt & pepper for a rub.... smoke em' with hickory. I usually do half dry and half with BBQ sauce. As Larry said it is best to cook them over 300 as they get rubbery if you cook them any lower. They are great done medium or even medium rare!

Hmmmm,,,,,,

Tyler says medium rare to medium, like a steak.

Larry says cook a long time like a brisket or chuck roast.

All right TVWB team, let's duke it out!!!

How do you all cook them?

icon_wink.gif

JimT

i've done them several ways. were good but not there. just several weeks ago i did some but changed what i did. i indiect grilled/smoked them until i could push a toothpick into them easily. best i ever had. took over three hours.

I would imagine Larry's version comes out 'less than' well done aswell... most people grill (direct heat) short ribs. I have done it both ways, I like them grilled and slow smoked. Its just fun to change it up
icon_smile.gif

Back