Beef Round Sirloin Tip Suggestions

Jason B

TVWBB Fan
Howdy,

I picked up an 8.5llb "Beef Round Sirloin Tip" from SAM's today wanting to try a beef roast in my WSM this weekend.

Does anyone have some suggestions on how to prepare this? I'm thinking a simple steak-type rub and cook at 275ish til middle is in the 130 degree range. Rest for a good while then slice it in roadt beef style slices across the grain.

Piece of beef was relatively cheap. I think it was 17 bucks and change or so. If it turns out well could definitely become a regular in my BBQ/Grilling repertoire.

Anyone try this before or have suggestions?

Thanks,
J

**edit: Found a nice section in the beef recipes forum about these when I drilled to the second page. Sounds like I am on the right track.

Has anyone tried marinating this cut of beef?

What a coincidence; I saw someone on Sharkey's forum talking about Round last night. His came out tough as leather. I think he grilled it at hotter temperatures.

Round is naturally tough.

One of the vendors at the fair will rotisserie whole rounds over lump charcoal. I didn't try theirs; I went to a different BBQ vendor, butI did see they cut the meat into very thin bite size pieces.

When we use Round steaks, we don't barbeque them. We tenderize them with a mallet, dredge in flour, brown it in a skillet with a little oil, add liquid, and let it braise a long time until it is fall-apart tender. The flour thickens the liquid into gravy and it's great with mashed potatoes. But it isn't barbequed.

If you do smoke yours, let us know how it turns out.

I buy a whole round roast at Costcos and smoke 'em. I just use Texas rub, and smoke at 230-240, pull at 150 internal. After an hour or so rest, I slice across the grain as much as possible on my slicer and put on toasted French bread with horseradish sauce and some melted cheese of choice. If I go above 150 internal, I think it is to done, but 150 is a temp all in the house can eat. I love 'em.

Thanks for the pointers all.

I wonder how much the idea of using a pan to catch the drippings would impede the smoke versus enhance the flavor with the steaming juices...

Will let you guys know how it turns out. Maybe take some pics!

if I were using a pan, I'd put it on the lower grate, with the roast on the upper grate directly above it. Then it would catch the drippings and not restrict the meat's contact with smoke.

Welp, the experiment is on. I'm cooking up this mop/marinade Jim Minion suggests with a couple modifications. The chil powder is being swapped with chipotle seasoning and I'm using basil, garlic, oregano diced tomatoes in place of tomato puree. The aroma wafting off the marinade cooking in the sauce pan is simply divine.

I snapped off a couple of shots on the digital camera so I'm going to keep a log of this cook both pictoral and written. Hope you guys don't mind!

I'm gonna post the pics to my yahoo account and link them here when I'm done.

Jim Minion said:

Here is a recipe for a mop:

2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons hot red chili powder
2 tablespoons mild red chili powder
1 onion finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
14 ounces tomato puree
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup bourbon

Mind seeing pics? Heck know, love it. I should do it more but just never seem to get around to it.
icon_frown.gif

I've got the first photos up at:

http://photos.yahoo.com/fenbay

Its under the SirloinRoast Photo Album.

Roast just went on at 12:30. Lid temp is between 275* and 300 after using standard method and pouring in some heated tap water to the water pan.

I'm using some Pecan and Apple for the smoke.

The results are in!

Came out very nice. I was surprised by the tenderness. I pulled at internal temp of 135* and rested for a little over an hour.

I think the tenderness was a combination of the marinade, jaccard'ing and slow cook. Relatively slow. Total cook took about 4 hours with temps ranging from 300 trailing down to about 250.

I was very happy with the results and our guests were too. Four adults on an 8.5llb roast and I'd say there's about 3llbs leftover total. Guess thats a resounding vote of "yummy".

Will definitely be cooking this cut again.

Updated photos at http://photos.yahoo.com/fenbay

Looks great. I wish the others in my house would like it that rare. The house is split on that issue. Glad it turned out well.

Back