beef round eye roast

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
Anyone done eye round roasts on the WSM?

I saw an older post on one that suggested searing first, however, since I'm planning on a high temp cook - probably in the 350 range - I think I'll get a good crust without a separate sear. That sould about right?

Anyhow, for my main question... what is the best way to catch juices. I'll want to make a gravy/sauce. Should I do it in a foil pan? My only concern is that I won't be able to deglaze properly in a foil pan. I'm a fan of fond. However, I also don't want to throw a normal roasting pan in the WSM, since the smoke clean up would be a real killer.

Any thoughts?

adamclyde--

You won't need to sear if you run a high temp cook. I usually start higher if possible for 10-15 min, then let the temps drop to 350. (A no-door approach for that is often useful.)

You can deglaze in a foil pan; though not optimal it works. Since you're not going to want to open the cooker during the cook, put a little water, stock, or a combo in the pan at the outset (some chunks of onion or whatever can go in). The liquid will help yoou avoid burning the fond. You have to try to put just enough in to keep the drippings from burning, but not so much that it prevents fond from forming. Err on the side of less at the beginning--just cover the bottom of the pan barely--you cna take a quick peak during the cook (have more liquid at the ready) to check things out. Deglaze on the stove as usual.

Thanks Kevin and Kevin.

For K. Taylor - Funny you should send that. I did a chuck roast on the smoker a while back and used your "pulled" chuck recipe as my guide. Loved it, though I think I could have let mine render a bit longer - was a bit greasy.

Have you done a beef eye round roast before on the smoker though? It's much leaner than a chuck, so I'm going to roast at high heat to medium rare, I think. I looked on your site and didn't see if you had documented a beef eye round roast. May have missed it.

Thanks again for the help folks.

Sorry, I guess I was thinking they were the same cut!

I do only low temp cooking on the WSM. All other meats are done on a charcoal grill using lump.

Back