Beef roast on the WSM

AVande

We have beef blade roasts on sale at our local supermarket. I am going to smoke one on my 18.5 WSM this weekend. I did a search and there is a lot of information on beef roasts but I am looking for something specific to smoking it on the WSM. I'm assuming to treat it like a brisket? I've only smoked chicken and pork ribs on the WSM so I'm a newbie lol. I believe in the US it may called it a chuck roast. Just looking for suggestions as well as how long an average sized beef roast would take to smoke. Thank you.

Smoked one on 18.5 WSM about a year ago. Chuck roast was just under 3 lbs, smoked at 250 degrees, wrapped in foil (and injected) after 2 plus hours, pulled with chuck reading in low 190’s. Total cook time 3-1/2 hours.

Lately though been using chuck roast for Shoyu Sugar Steak, a Sheldon Simeon recipe with highly recommended results. Good luck

I treat them like brisket, but I am careful about moisture. I find often that the roasts don’t have enough intramuscular fat so they need help. I’ve injected, added tallow or just wrapped earlier that I would a brisket. Last one I did I used the foil boat method and it had good results - bark was well preserved and the meat stayed moist.

Back