Beef Ribs - Not too good

Mike B.

TVWBB Fan
Yesterday, I smoked my first beef ribs. I used the 3-2-1 method, and smoked for about 6 hours. I've got to say that I didn't like them. Too greasy for me. I seem to remember grilling beef ribs awhile back and finding them to be too greasy then. I not a huge rib fan to begin with, so I probably won't be attempting beef ribs again.

Mike-

Beef ribs are definitely greasier than pork ribs (I think it's the nature of beef fat vs pork fat.) I don't know what size ribs you had, but I don't ever cook mine less than 7 hours (usually 230 degrees or so), and that helps some. I'm guessing you removed the membrane on the back (if not, it holds in a lot of melted fat.)

All that said, I know lots of people who just don't like them. I cooked two racks yesterday, and look forward to eating them all week, and sharing some with my dad.

Cheers,
R

Yep, I removed the membrane. There wasn't a lot of fat left on them, but the meat was greasy. Also, there really wasn't a smoke ring, but all of the meat was pink. I may have used a bit too much smoke wood. I think I'll just stick with briskets and chuck roast when it comes to beef.

Back