Beef Ribs Advice

Jim Smithson

TVWBB Fan
I am smokin some beef ribs tomorrow and planned on using my leftover Wild Willy rub. What I want to know is it best to foil or not foil beef ribs? I always foil my baby backs or spares for 1-2 hrs max. What about beef ribs?

Otherwise I just plan on smoking them with cherry for 6-7 hrs at 225F.

Also, what about mopping? I normally don't with ribs...thoughts?

thx

I do beef ribs like pork ribs, only longer b/c they can be tougher. I don't mop, but definitely foil to make them a little more tender. Good luck!

Hey Rita

Believe it or not, Publix. $1.99/lb.

Cryovac packaging. 2 slabs. about 4.5 lbs/slab.

They could be a bit meatier as they did scrape out in between the ribs some...but I will give a final review after tonights dinner.

I got a bunch of beef ribs at Vons (Safeway for all those outside CA), two slab cryo's for .97 a pound. I did a couple of slabs in the crockpot a week or so ago becuase I had nine racks of BB's on the WSM. I didn't like the way they turned out though, way too greasy, the grease need someplace to drip to instead of the meat just sitting in it for hours.

Thanks, Jim. I actually never gave Publix a thought! I buy so little meat there anymore. I'll check on my next supermarket run. Good luck with tonight's cook.

Shiloh, thanks. There are no Safeway stores here. It's a bit of a drive to a Von's.
icon_wink.gif

Rita

Well, ribs turned out great! I didnt foil but did take the middle section out to sauce and direct grill. I will not do any direct grilling next time. Pork ribs need it after foiling, these beef ribs did not. Too easy to burn also with the extra fat.

Speaking of the extra fat, the ribs were much greasier than pork ribs. We all liked them but decided we preferred pork ribs.

My kids thought they were good but hilarious. Called them Flintstone dinosaur ribs. Imagine a full size beef rib in the hands of a 6 year old! I think it was the same length as his head! Good stuff.

Back