Beef Ribs - 1st Time questions

S. Fink

TVWBB Fan
I was never a big beef ribs fan until I had a really good one earlier this summer. Thought I'd give it a try this weekend.

Bought a big pack of "Beef Chuck Short Ribs" at BJs. Thought I'd rub em down w/ a brisket rub and toss em on w/ some oak @ 250-275. Cook till tender.

Any suggestions/additions/advice would be helpful. Is that a good cooking temp? I understand they should cook faster than pork ribs, but how long? 3 hrs.? I normally go 3-1-1 on spares? Should I foil beef? If so, what would you add to the wrapper? Beef stock? What's a good finishing internal temp? 190 - 200? I'm happy to just throw them on and go . . . just want to know what I'm getting into.

Thanks.

Check out this. Time it takes depends on the thickness so if they are good and meaty, which the ones I buy usually are they take a little longer to cook. I would assume 3-4 hrs at those temps would be good.

I've only done beef back ribs once, and I mistakenly used a non-sugar rub. Problem. WAY too salty. My suggestion would be along the lines of an Armadillo Willy's all-around basic rub.

The other thing I learned is you pretty much can't buy BBR's that have too much meat. Get super meaty bones. In addition to the oversaltiness, my ribs were a little sparse on the meat. (They were cryovac'd from IPC or whoever supplies Cash & Carry type stores.)

I have done them a few times on my WSM. If I remember correctly they took me a bit longer then pork ribs. As mentioned already it all depends on how beefy they are. I dont bother foiling but thats up to you.

Back