Beef Rib Roast - Prime Rib

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ok, in the six weeks that I've owned my bullet, I've had success with baby backs, spares, a whole turkey, and 2" pork chops with bacon on top. My success is directly related to the information sharing from the members of this forum. Now it's time for an important family event---my sister's wedding.

I want to try Chris' Beef Rib Roast recipe using the Montreal Steak Seasoning----

-Will be serving a pre-wedding dinner party of 12-14.

-I've place an advance order for two USDA Choice "first cuts" (bones 10-12) and instructed the butcher to leave the bones intact and tie the roast at each bone (just like Chris says to do).

-I've asked the butcher to try and get 'em about the same size/weight.

-I've played around enough now with my bullet to determine that I'll probably want to use a mixture of hardwood lump charcoal along with the good 'ole Kingsford to be able to maintain the higher req'd temp.

Here are my questions----

1. Best to put both on top rack, or best to put one on top and one on lower rack?

2. Best to use about a 50-50 mix of lump and Kingsford equal to about 2 chimneys full or otherwise?

3. Best to use the white oak and apple I have in what amount/combination? (I don't have anything else except hickory)

4. Given that I'll be doing two Rib Roasts, will I want to bring the starting temp higher than what Chris did for one rib roast? If so, how high before putting the rib roasts on?

5. Correct to assume that the cooking time per pound should be estimated in advance by the weight of the larger of the two and not the combined weight of the two roasts?

6. If one does come larger than the other, if using both upper and lower racks, is it best to put the larger roast on top cooking grate since temp runs higher there?

7. I assume my target cooking temp will be around 350-375 degrees, correct?

8. I know I should have a remote therm to check internal temp, but I'm gonna have to use the manual internal meat therm. that I have. Given that, I'm thinking I better check the internal temp (I'm shooting for around 120 before allowing to rise during rest) at around 1 hour and 45 minutes given cook temp of around 350-375 and each roast weighing around 6-7 lbs, correct?

In addition to my questions, any other advice/tips you can offer?

Any and all replies greatly appreciated. If you can't tell, I'm a little nervous about this cook, the other cooks were just casual get-togethers with friends, but this pre-wedding party brings on a little more pressure, lol.

Thanks in advance.

I think with a dry water pan, you should have no trouble maintaining 325-350* with two chimneys full of just briquets. I'd cook both on top if they fit, but the larger on top if not-- or you could even rotate if you feel like it. Monitor the temp in the smaller one if both on the same rack.

Thanks for the reply, Doug. Does everything else that I've outlined above look ok? The wedding party dinner is set for this Friday, and I'm wanting to double-check that I have things right. I sure want this cook to turn-out well.

Thanks again.

Jeff.....

I cook my Standing Rib Roasts a little different. Since they are a very fatty cutr of meat, low and slow is the best way to prepare. But, because they cook a little quicker than other cuts of meat, I sear them first.

My Nona used to cook her prime ribs this way many, many years ago. Darned if Cook's Illustrated didn't determine that this was the best way to prepare. As usual, they cooked tons of them and liked the overall outcome of low and slow with a beginning sear. If you belong to CI, do a search for prime rib and see their results.

The sear will bring out the flavors that plain roasting won't do. Once seared, I put mine in the WSM and cook it around 225? for 30 minutes/lb. I use the gasser to sear, but it can be done on the stove top as well.

Here are a few recipes I have used and they all come out great. These directions are for the oven, but, like I explained, I use the gasser to sear and then the WSM to slow cook. You will notice the first recipe is from Chris!

Any questions are welcome!

Standing Rib Roast

CHRIS'S HERBED ROAST
2 tablespoon(s) Basil, fresh
2 tablespoon(s) Oregano, chopped
2 tablespoon(s) Parsley, fresh, chopped
2 tablespoon(s) Rosemary, fresh
2 tablespoon(s) Garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon Black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoon(s) Salt
4 tablespoon(s) Olive oil

Mix all ingredients into a paste and apply to roast. Wrap in plastic wrap and let sit overnight.

MUSTARD PRIME RIB
2 tablespoon(s) Black peppercorns
2 tablespoon(s) Mustard seed
1/2 cup Mustard, whole grain
2 tablespoon(s) Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoon(s) Rosemary, fresh

Crush the pepper and mustard seeds. Mix all together into a paste and apply to roast. Wrap in plastic wrap and let sit overnight.

KEVI'S KING OF THE ROASTS
Worcestershire sauce or A1 Sauce
Horseradish
Yum Yum Steak Seasoning(see below)

Slather on sauce, then apply horseradish and finally sprinkle with seasoning. Wrap in plastic wrap and let sit overnight.

Cooking instructions for all recipes: Allow roast to come to room temperature. Pre-heat oven to 225?. In a large roasting pan, on the stove top over 2 burners, brown the rib roast on all sides. This will take about 8-10 minutes to do. About 1/2 cup of fat should render out during this process. Remove the roast from the pan and place on a wire rack placed in the bottom of the pan. Set the roast on this rack. Place the roast in the oven and cook for 30 minutes per pound...it will take about 3 1/2 hours for a 7 pound roast. Meat temp should be around 125? for rare, 135? for medium rare. When removing from the oven, cover loosely with foil and let rest 20 minutes. This will allow the temp to go up another 5-10? and will allow the juices to re-distribute.

To make your AuJus, add some beef broth or red wine to the roasting pan, heat up and scrape the bits from the bottom of the pan. Let this mixture reduce by 1/2.

HORSERADISH DIPPING SAUCE
1/2 cup Sour cream
2 tablespoon(s) Horseradish
2 teaspoon(s) White pepper
2 teaspoon(s) Worcestershire sauce

Mix all ingredients together and then chill.

Yum-Yum Steak Seasoning

4 tablespoon(s) Salt
2 tablespoon(s) Paprika
1 tablespoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon Coriander
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric

PREPARATION:
Mix together and use on any beef.

Makes about 1/2 cup.

Jeff.....

My other post was too long so I will add my comments to your other questions in this one....

1. If they both fit on top, do it. That will promote equal cooking. If they don't fit, you have no choice. Just cook the other one alittel longer OR put it on a little earlier. How much longer?? No idea...that's where the "art of BBQing" cpomes in! LOL

2. Not sure why you want to mix lump and Kingsford? I have used straight lump on mine with VERY good results. I HATE smoke on these cuts of meat. It tends to cover up the natural flavor of the beef. Lump gave me the benefit of just a slight amount of smoke flavor. I also use the Minion Method for this. Lump burns hotter, but you can still keep it under 250? very easily. You need to keep your fire real low, so add about 1/4 - 1/2 chimney full of briqs. I use briqs to start the lump. Once the briqs are ashed over, I dump them ON TOP of the lump.

3. Again.....no smoke for me on this cut of meat. I am willing to bet that not a single one of your guests has ever had a smoky prime rib. YOU may like it, but you run the risk of really turning your guests off. Not everyone is crazy about smoke...like we are! I say, save the smoke flavor for yourself. The lump will give you just what you are looking for.

4. You don't have to bring the temps higher, you need to use more lit coals to get it to that temp. But!!! My start is like Jim Minion's ...I place the meat on immediately after firing up the cooker. So much easier to control the temps from the bottom up..especially on a low cook. You DO need to let the meat come to room temp for this cook. If not, the timing will be off and it will take longer.

5. Yes.

6. Yes.

7. Not for me. But I explained that in my other post.

8. I am willing to bet that 120-125? will be FAR too low a temp for 90% of your guests. Check that temp out and you will find VERY red and bloody. NOT what most folks are looking for. All I can say is you will have to check the internal temp occasionally. Look at the color of the meat instead of relying on a temp. THAT will determine what you will put in front of your guests. My first attempt, I took off at 125? and not a single person would eat it! So, be careful to rely on JUST an internal temp. Also, don't forget to rest for 20-30 minutes! Tent with foil when doing this.

Let's compare Chris's 2 Rib Roasts cooks.....

The pic below is the roast at a final temp of 133?....

prime8.jpg

How many of your female guests will be willing to dig into that???

Here is the roast from his most recent cook. It was taken off at 134? and rested so the final temp is probably around 142?...a rise of 8? like his previous one.

ribroast6.jpg

A MUCH better looking roast that a female will most likely eat.

One final bit of advice......PREPARE your guests for a possible late dinner!! OR....give yourself plenty of wiggle room! This is a large cut of meat and can be held, but it is always best hot off the cooker. Simply explain to your guests that cooking this monster is an ART and NOT an exact science.

Jeff, I have thrown lots of info at you! Including a technique I find superior to simply roasting. BUT, it comes from doing many of these over the years and hopefully I will have helped you avoid some pitfalls!

It would be great if you could practice once, but that may not be feasible. So, jump right in and give 'em Hell!!

Best of luck and of course, you now have the entire board waiting for your results!! LOL

No disagreement with anything Stogie said, but the photo of the bloody prime rib made me cringe a bit. I remember when I posted it not being sure if I should show it, because it looked a lot worse than when I actually sliced the meat. This is the only photo I have of a slice from that roast:

prime9.jpg

It really wasn't that bloody, it just looked that way near the bones. Despite my hesitation, I published the photo to illustrate the bone removal. But looking at it at around 8:00am does make me kind of queasy. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Have fun with the prime rib...oh, and with the wedding, too. I'm sure it will be a big hit. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Jeff,I also like to start out with a high temperature( 400) than cook at 225-240 until it reaches desired doneness using a thermometer.I keep it simple when applying a rub, I use only a steak seasoning.Then I cut slits every few inches an inch deep and insert a single garlic clove. Altogether the cook times run around 6 hours! Good luck

Dave

Chris......

As I stated earlier, I have taken a rib roast to temps between 125-130? and they are indeed VERY bloody and bright red. NONE of my guests would eat it....not even the "tough guys". So, back into the oven and a delayed dinner...on Xmas Eve!

I think high 130's to mid 140's is the ideal temp...as in your second pic......knowing there will be some more well done pieces on the ends.

I hope you didn't mind me using those pics? It's just that....I been there, done that and those pics are right on with the temps you mentioned.

You have to worry about who you are serving and the vast majority of folks won't eat a roast that rare.

Jeff - cooking two roast, I would recommend cooking one medium rare (for the ones that like it that way) and one medium for the ladies. I agree with previous posts that the majority of ladies like their meat not mooing at them. You will have four end pieces that might satisfy those liking their roast on the medium to medium-well side. Good luck

Jeff,

The last prime rib I did was on New Year's Eve. The roast weighed 6.72 lbs. The cook lasted 2:47; I used a foiled empty water pan and the average temp measured at the lid was 336(so probably 325 at top grate).
I used 1 small piece of cherry wood. I pulled the roast at 125, tent foiled it and let it rest for 20 minutes, the temp rose to 133, it was fabulous, Medium Rare very tender. Just my experience. GOOD LUCK!

Wow! Thanks for the great responses, all. I just got back home after being out-of-town since late Tuesday morning. I need to digest everything that was mentioned above, and given that I am just getting-in after driving 10 hours, I'm gonna come back in the morning to re-read and print-out the responses. I'm kinda brain dead right now.

Thanks again. I very much appreciate the everyone sharing their thoughts/experiences. I'll post a better reply tomorrow evening after I get down to Nashville----yet 6 hours more of driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back