Beef Rib Dinner w/Planked Mashed Sweet Potato, Orange Chili Wings

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
I was off yesterday and was going to do a brisket but I found some nice looking beef ribs at the store so the brisket is on hold until Monday. Each slab was over 3lbs and looked meaty.

I did the ribs in the WSM using natural hardwood briquettes and persimmon wood chips, about 285ºF for five hours.

I did some orange chili wings like Larry's sriracha, only with homemade orange habanero jelly and sambal oelek (yes, they were HOT!). I marinaded the wings in 1/2C fresh lime juice w/pulp, 3/4t salt, 3 cloves mashed garlic, fresh ground dried guajillo, fresh cilantro 1/4C oil for about 6 hours (turning several times) then grilled indirect/direct for about 30 minutes, then put on a few layers of sauce.

I also grilled some corn in the husk and did cedar planked mashed sweet potatoes. Soak the plank, mash sweet potato with some regular potato, add garlic, sour cream, butter, parmesean cheese, salt and white pepper. Top with green onions or w/e ... I used fresh cilantro leaves this time. Grill medium heat for about an hour to get a nice potato crust on it.

The spuds & wings were great, the beef ribs got a bit over done but they were tender inside. Pulled clean from the bone with a tug when I did the tear test. Timing was off, I had to hold the ribs for over an hour while I cooked the chicken. It was the first time I've tried persimmon wood and I liked it just fine.

Neat idea with the spuds !!
icon_cool.gif
Everything looks great, Shawn.

Bill

Thanks!

I posted a recipe for the planked spuds.

Just noticed I used the performer, WSM and the gasser (for the corn and spuds) on this cook. It just seemed so natural to me to have 3 cookers going, yet most people can't seem to fathom having more than one grill.

Nice looking grub Shawn. I've been meaning to plank some mashed but haven't got around to it. In your opinion was it worth it and did you get much Cedar flavor in the spuds?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Nice looking grub Shawn. I've been meaning to plank some mashed but haven't got around to it. In your opinion was it worth it and did you get much Cedar flavor in the spuds? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is the fourth time I've made them this summer so yeah, totally worth it IMO.

I think you get as much cedar flavor if not more from the contact with the wet plank as the smoke from the charred plank. But somehow it just works with the garlic, parm cheese etc. Everyone I've served these to so far said they loved 'em.

One might put a layer of parchment on the board, under the spuds ... might help tone it down a bit. Mop up any loose water from the board before applying the spuds as well if too strong of cedar is a concern and don't cook 'em as long.

Nice looking plate of food there Shawn. Eveything looks fantastic.
icon_cool.gif
I have a jar of the sambal oelek in the cupboard. I'm going to use it for some roasted Asian Pork belly.

Very nice Shawn - I like the twist on the potatoes as well! Wish I could find some nice beef ribs around here!

Back