Beef-O-Rama

John K BBQ

TVWBB Wizard
Hello All - I've been a little less active on the forum lately and hope everyone here is enjoying the holiday weekend. I made it out to my first MLS game yesterday with wifey and her little doppleganger (my daughter). Today we're hanging around the house and I'm having another try at smoked short ribs, this time using the WSM and loading up a brisket flat on there for good measure. Rub was 1 part salt, 2 parts 16 mesh BP and 1 part regular store bought BBQ rub. Here's a pic of the Beef after the first hour @ 225F. Using the T-Works Billows for tightest possible temp control. Will be wrapping the flat when it stalls out, but leaving shorties on until they are tender and then foil-resting those guys for about an hour or so. Everything is getting a beef broth/worc/Texas pete spritz every hour. I'll post more pics a bit later and let everyone know the results.

beef-o-rama.jpg

Here I am cheesin' it up with my WSM - this is at the end of hour #2. Photo courtesy of my 19 year old... he's sharing with his friends to create a little jealousy.... first, because he gets to eat like a king tonight, but also because his dad's a bigger dork than most other dads.
beef-o-rama2.jpg

Beef O Rama ended after a good meal and a few too many glasses of wine. Here's the last pic.... Short ribs were quite barky & tasty. The brisket flat was also qute good/barky. Some short ribs were very tender after 8 hours some where not. I put the ones that didn't cooperate in the foil with the brisket with about 1 cup of spritzing liquid. The more tender ones went to the foil with no liquid and a couple of towels over the top to help them stay warm. Overall, Beef-O-Rama was a big hit. I'm going to follow Brett's instructions for low and slow on the WSK on my next batch and see how that works out.

BEFFORAMA3.jpg

Looks like a good meal. I haven't made any beef short ribs in far too long. Maybe I'll go on a hunt today and see if I can find some to smoke up for the holiday.

Back