Beef Jerky

Erik G

TVWBB Pro
I was looking at a beef jerky recipe that states to use brisket since it's lean. I might be mistaken but isn't brisket considered to have a lot of fat, therefore typically bbqed low 'n slow? Isn't lean brisket basically considered an oxymoron?

Erik

I agree with you, I generally use rump roasts when making jerky. Some claim that brisket has become 'leaner' over the years, but it still has too much fat IMO for jerky.

Don't know about your area, but here in mine, Wally World sells Jerky meat. I don't know what cut it is from, but it already comes in long thin slices. Looks like beef bacon. You really need to look around the meat case for it as they only have a few packs now and then. I'll post some pics of some jerky I made. One pack makes a good amount of jerky. I marinade in worchestershire, beer, hot sauce, pepper flakes, black pepper, and fresh garlic for a couple hours and then place in my Lil' Chief to dry and smoke.

P.S. I feel I am in violation of the picture posting policy for this board. I'm using Imageshack, so what would I need to do so that only a link shows up not the photo? I tried the hotlink to photo option but it showed an even bigger picture. Some assistance would be appreciated so I can be in compliance with policy.

Thanks,
Rob In Texas

Yeh, I was thinking about using flank steak or round roast(London Broil). Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't any lean inexpensive cut of beef work?
Doug, thanks for the link. I noticed in the recipe that it states to use 1/4 cup salt and 1/3 cup tender quick; isn't that a bit excessive? Luckily, I have never had problems with bacteria so I would probably omit the tender quick, IMO it is not necessary.
Rob, I have never seen a beef jerky recipe with beer in it (at least to my knowledge). Is the beer flavor noticeable? I must say the pictures look very good.

I've used the High Mountain jerky seasonings for years and made quite a bit takes alot of the guess work out and there's several flavors . You can pick up what you need at Bass Pro .

Erik I to use Hi Mountain Jerky seasoning. More for a convenince. They have a variety of flavors and is very simple to use. You can order direct from them at
www.himtnjerky.com
I got lazy when it comes to making jerky. I use smoker for the first hour for smokeing the meat. Then i transfer to a food dehydrater for the remaining time. Mine has a fan for circulating air and time wise is about 1 hour dry time to 1 lb of meat. Hi mountain has a variety flavors to choose. You will not be disappointed. I posted a Apple Jerky recipe in here but i have to locate the post. My mind is not what it used to be. lol

Eric,
Sadly, in the end there is no beer taste. I use it to water down the wor. sauce and hot sauce a lil bit and help tenderize the beef a lil. You get a good taste of heat in the recipe I use with a faint hint of wor. sauce in the background.

Back