Beef. It's what's for lunch (tomorrow)

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
After cutting my teeth on 5 butts and several rib cooks, I took the plunge and just bought myself a 10.85 pound packer brisket. She's sittin in the fridge, wrapped in her little cryovac cacoon just waiting to meet Mr. WSM for their date tonight.

I'm going to use Chris' recipe here on TVWB, and will be basting with some apple juice. I'd like it to be done about 12 tomorrow, for my lunch, then I'll be taking the remaining sliced pieces to a dinner where they will be gently reheated with some apple juice. Hope everything goes O.K...wish me luck!

Phil

Plans have changed. I won't go into details, but I had I was called for an "emergency" babysit tomorrow so I wouldn't be able to cook the brisket. So, I put it on today!

The brisket is now on the WSM, vents are fully open, and I'm waiting for 200 when I will start closing vents. I'm using mission fig chunks as my smoke wood in honor of my upcoming fig harvest (some are already ripening). My plan is to cook to 170, then into the oven at 300. I hate to foil or use the oven, but with circumstances being what they are I didn't have any choice. But, like someone says here, "I ain't too proud to foil"
icon_smile.gif

One thing though: The brisket was too long to fit in the WSM. So, I kind of "curled" part of the flat so that it fit better and wasn't so close to the (hot) edges. I hope it doesn't affect it at all, or stay that shape permanentaly. Oh well, I'm sure it will taste just as good. Better go check the temp!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil R.:
One thing though: The brisket was too long to fit in the WSM. So, I kind of "curled" part of the flat so that it fit better and wasn't so close to the (hot) edges. I hope it doesn't affect it at all, or stay that shape permanentaly. Oh well, I'm sure it will taste just as good. Better go check the temp! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Phil, The brisket will shrink up pretty quick. After about an hr or two you should be able to lay it flat.
icon_smile.gif

I also rolled my end under for Saturdays lunch. It actually un-rolled as it shrunk down. Great tasting piece of meat. Mine was a 15.75 lb.

Back