Beef Cut - "Shoulder Muscle" ?

I noticed your reference to Jimmy P's in another thread, Joe. I'll have to try it sometime.

I find that if the meat people behind the counter know how to cut them and do, then the 'flat iron steaks' that top blade gets cut into sell quickly and are popular. Many don't know how or don't take the time. The cross-cuts aren't that popular, fortunately, because around here they get cross-cut more than not. Lack of popularity means lower price and that means I can get whole ones to cut myself cheaper.

I just came home from BJ"s. Yes Nils, that is the cut Dean was referring to in your link. My BJ's had 2 of them in the 6-7.5lb. range. They also had the Knuckle, Beef Round Round Tip (980150)COV Knuckle, which is the one I'll be using for the MD pit beef. They had 2 of them as well. One was a little over 9lbs. @ $24 and the other one was almost 14lbs. @ $36
And no cryos of Skirt Steak.
icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by K Kruger:
I noticed your reference to Jimmy P's in another thread, Joe. I'll have to try it sometime.
They are highly recommended. In the last 2-3 years I have been popping by, I have never been disappointed, either with the quality or the service. Yes, they ship, but it really pays to swing by and see what's best at that moment.

Even better, once you move out of the high-rent cuts, the prices get very, very reasonable. In my last run, they had bone-in ribeyes for $17/lb, beautifully cut, etc. Yes, granted, I was paying for a hunk of bone with each steak, but still. But I managed to score a "London Broil" for $6/lb and so on.

As a full-on butcher shop, they will also custom-cut anything you want, too. Oh, and the Kurobuta is amazing and very, very reasonable.

You remind me of me. I'll quibble about price differences of glassware, refuse to pays hundreds for a 'name' pot I can get the virtual duplicate of for less than half, but food--food I will pay for. If the quality is there I am not very concerned about price.

I do wish they'd call the Kurobuta what it is here and not bother with the Japanese. Of course if they are bringing it in from Japan that's one thing--but silly if they are actually buying Kurobuta there rather than Berkshire here. Regardless, I'll try theirs. I have not been able to locate a source for Berk piglets or would have grown a few out by now. I get Durocs (or crosses, mostly crosses) from time to time.

I'll definitely check it out.

Kevin,

Not only will I pop the extra coin for ingredients that are worth it, I'll drive 100 miles each way for them. (After all these years, my wife just rolls her eyes.)

What I'm not 100% sure about is if the "Kurobuta" is merely a marketing ploy to shift a lot of Berkshire, or if the so-called Kurobuta is Berkshire reared in a particularly Kurobuta-ish way. As yet I have not run across any for-real Kurobuta from Japan so I have no valid basis for comparison.

I just had a business trip out to Ft. Myers & Naples and came back with a decent "Kobe" haul. One smallish (+/- 5.5lb) tenderloin, still in the original packer's cryovac which I intend to wet-age for a spell, a healthy tri-tip ($11/lb.), a "London Broil" I shaved for carpaccio -- a truly stellar thing, incidentally -- and a "clod heart steak"...just to keep this reply (sort of) on topic.

They did have assorted hunks of Kurobuta-style on display and I was sorely tempted to grab a whole fresh ham, but I'll hold off on that until the time comes for a full-on Cuban Christmas eve thing.

I know several Berk growers but none do anything other than pasture raise and feed good feed. I do not know if Berks in Japan are raised differently. There really isn't a lot of Berk to 'shift' so no clue there. There are several chefs around the country I know who use Kurobuta on their menus because they like the way it sounds (they buy here); others that use Berkshire because it has a distinctive 'local' ring to it.

What cut were they selling as 'London Broil'--flank? --top round? --another? (I hate when they label a cut 'London Broil'.)

Check out this page. Good stuff.

My understanding was the Kurobuta was Berkshire but given the whole beer-and-massage-and-spa-days treatment. But I could be spectacularly offbase here.

The London Broil in question was a Top Round. I cut it in half (so each piece was closer to a square than oblong) let one of them firm up in the freezer a little bit and then sliced away. (Sort of weird discussing carpaccio on a BBQ forum)

The other I cut further into +/- 2"x2"x6" blocks that I hard seared and sliced thinnish. (I figured if people treat tuna like beef...why not try the reverse?)

Thanks for the 4 Arrows link. I must now ponder.

Back