Beef Brisket and quarter chicken weekend bbq log

Jason_CA

Attempting the high heat cook with a 12lb+ whole beef brisket packer and using the new Maverick Remote therm.

I haven't added a cook log with pics for awhile so I'd thought I'd share what I have thus far this Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for all who added their experiences on the forum, I'm browsing some of these threads on the high heat brisket posts High temp brisket question and High temp brisket

Start and prep and added to the WSM around 12pm

Beef Brisket Sunday log

2pmish - peeked in and brisket looks/smells good. chicken is now going to be pulled chicken lol, on there longer than usual. Brisket at round 152° took a few more pics, snacking on smoky chicken

update 230ish - brisket at 161° good color, off smoker and foiled then returned

update 5pmish - winds picked up last few hours burning through a lot of fuel the wsm was hovering at around 250°, fork tender in thicker area so removed and still resting in foil, about 1.5cups juice, some mixed in with Red No.5 sauce, some in foil, some in fridge.

Slicing and Snacking

Thanks for the compliments.
Very easy cook, looking forward to leftovers and trying a few different meals with the brisket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j. pavone:
Looks mighty fine jason. What kind of wood were you using? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
j. pavone - I used approx 10 smaller pieces of hickory chunks. My cache has apricot, cherry, hickory in chunks. And apple and cherry chips in the bag. I decided on the Hickory trying for a stronger flavor during the shortened cook based on others recommendations.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by G Dechaine:
Is that a Global cleaver in one of your pics? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
G Dechaine - It's actually a Global G-56 7" Vegetable knife. It sees a multitude of tasks and I use it like my other santoku knives
Amazon - product page I purchased for $60 w/ship a couple years back.

I've got my own brisket from yesterday in the fridge. Looking at yours makes me want to go raid the fridge. Simply beautiful Jason! Was that your first high heat brisket? I've really enjoyed doing them high and fast. Not sure if I'll ever go back to low/slow on brisket.

Congrats on a great looking brisket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad Marsh:
Was that your first high heat brisket? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brad- First Brisket cook ever, never used this cut with the exception of packaged brined corn beef in a pressure cooker. Like yourself, I'm continuing to raid the fridge, got some dark rye yesterday to make one of my favorite sandwiches .. the Reuben. Added havarti, swiss, kraut, thousand island all heated in buttered cast iron with grill press, they were great!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">got some dark rye yesterday to make one of my favorite sandwiches .. the Reuben. Added havarti, swiss, kraut, thousand island all heated in buttered cast iron with grill press, they were great! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh man, that hurts. Thats up my alley. Awesome good on the Brisket Jason

Back