Beef Back Ribs

Joe McManus

TVWBB All-Star
Question for you Texans (or Oklahomans in Keri's case), or anyone else for that matter.

I've never prepared beef ribs before. I've got a technique for loin ribs and spares figured out. Main question is do beef ribs behave the same? I use foil on my pork ribs (hopefully that won't cause too much of a rucus). Do beef ribs follow the same 4-2-1 (or modified 4-2-1)?

I vacusealed the guys last night (Foodsaver - a wonderful present from my wife for X-mas) and popped 'em in the freezer. Current plan right now would be to throw them in next time I do a brisket.

Hey, while your at it, I have a bunch of what you might call "St. Louis beef spareribs". Offer advice on those too. I picked 20 lbs of those up for like $5. Low risk, I figured.

Joe, if you go to the top of the page and click on the cooking section, there's a "how to" under beef for ribs.

I've made them before and found them pretty darn greasy or fatty. I don't think I made them right...I understand that Bobby Flay's favorite bbq is beef ribs.

Joe,
I was having similiar thoughts this week when i noticed Bobak's had short ribs on sale. I did some research and from what i came up with, I'm gonna have to run them 6-8 hours. I will probably run them 3-2-?. The question mark time determined by sampling because this is uncharted waters. I plan on rubbing them lightly with brisket rub. I was going to run to Bobaks tomorrow a.m. and smoke some sunday with some polish sausage. If snow doesnt affect that, I'll let you know how it goes.

Hey Brian,

Saw the ribs at Jewel last night for 79c / lb. They also had the larger ribs for the same price. These looked really pretty good, and I figured for the 3 or 4 bucks I spent, they should at least make a good snack.

I find it interesting how these ribs are all on sale right after the holiday blitz for rib roasts

I'll be honest w/ you, I don't have much desire to go battle the snow to smoke anything this weekend. Good luck!

I haven't smoked 'em, but done em on the kettle for 2 hours or a bit longer, Raichlen's recipe for dinosaur ribs (hoisin sauce) and WOW! They were the most tender ribs EVER! My family still talks about it, tho I've not tried it since.

Ive done beef ribs several times and always had good results. I havent ever foiled them, never felt the need to since they have more fat to them and they are thick so they dont seem to dry out as much. They definately take longer than spares, usually 7+.

Susan...beef ribs with Hoisin sauce sounds awsome...any chance you can post the recipe with the correct credits.

I've done beef back ribs once and the results weren't great. One aspect that I had issues with was the membrane. It was a tad difficult to get started, but once I did, they'd peel off more or less just like pork back ribs. However, there seemed to be a few layers of the membrane and every slab still had enough of it remaining that it still ended up being a problem in the finished product.

Ultimately I'm not sure what exactly I did wrong, but mine weren't tender enough by a long shot. Flavor was good, but it was quite the workout after chomping on three ribs or so. Good luck with yours and let us know how they do.

~Dave

I have done them foiled and unfoiled and I guess you take a chance on how "tough" they are.To cook them and to be sure they turn out tender Ive kept to foiling them.I also remove all I can of the membrane

Back