Beef arm roast

I recently got an 1/8 of a cow as part of a group meat buy. Included in my portion are a couple roasts labeled "arm roast". I would say they are each 2-3 lbs. How should I cook/smoke these?

I was thinking about treating them like a brisket and was planning a high-heat brisket approach, then slicing/shredding for sandwiches.

Any ideas?

Bill

You can go high heat or lower. I'd definitely foil. Take a look at the roasts. Often arm roasts are on the leaner side. If so, a liquid addition to the foil will help shredability.

I would braise them. You might get them tender in the que, but why chance it? If you do decide to smoke them, please let us know how it goes!

Cheers

Well, I went with a high heat brisket type approach. Cooker got a little hotter than I expected, spiking over 400 a couple times, but I pulled it at 165 and foiled with some beef broth.

Final result was tasty for sure; very nice flavorful bark; not quite as tender and silky as pulled pork due to the lesser fat content, but not half bad. Much better than pot roast in my opinion (which neither my wife or kids are too thrilled about, either). Will definitely try again with the other couple of arm roasts in the freezer.

BTW: since I had such a nice fire going, I threw on a turkey breast, so I'll have smoked turkey for turkey salad sandwiches this week. Yum!

Bill

I just bought 1/2 a beef and also have several arm roasts in the freezer. We have been grilling indirect @ 350 about 20 minutes/lb. Pull at 135, foil, and let rest 20 minutes. Slice against the grain. Make a packet of au jus and you have yourself a tasty poor mans prime rib.

Back