beans and fat drippings?

jeff davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
I started 2 racks of britu on top at around 2pm and at 4pm I put a chicken on top as well. At 4:30 I put some beans on the lower grill.

Predictably, lots of chicken and rib fat dripped into the beans. I took everything off around 6:30pm. I drained a lot of fat off of the beans , threw some pork in and they were delicious.

Do most people do it this way or do you move the meat down to the lower level and put the beans up top?

tia,
jd

would you put ribs over beans? Why not chicken? Chieken fat is pretty flavorful...was on my grandmother's holiday table for the mashed potatoes...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Why not chicken? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Food safety concerns.

Chicken fat is an amazing thing. It is a staple in many ethnic foods, and if you eat ethnic foods you have consumed it! It's a dirty little secret just like lard (port fat) used to be before Emerill Championed that wonderfull thing. It is no more prone to bacterialogical contamination than any other rendered fat when handled correctly. Chicken fat rendered in a WSMC might be suspect (if you are inclined towards that kind of thing), but a quick trip to the stovetop should cure any problem. I bet those beens were outstanding Jeff!

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lou Tarnay:
Chicken fat is an amazing thing. It is a staple in many ethnic foods, ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lou - I don't think the concern is with the chicken fat, but with the drippings from the body cavity. That is where most of the poultry cooties (technical term) come from.

It depends upon the temperature the beans are cooked to. I suspect they made it well into the safe zone.

jrp

I don't really buy into the whole chicken drippings being more unsafe than, say, pork drippings.

HOWEVER, I would not put any beans under any uncooked meat. I'd wait until the meat reaches safe temperatures (140-160) then throw the beans underneath. Sounds like you sort of did that by adding it later. Under pork, you'll still get plenty of drippings into the beans. Chicken... well, if you want chicken fat, render it beforehand on the stove.

Butt over beans - can you say YUMMMMY!!!

I add the beans somewhere in the 9-12 hour range when cooking a butt. The drippings add a wonderful flavor and tang to the beans.

This was very informative. I agree with the notion that raw pork drippings is no safer than chicken drippings. I actually was cooking pieces but since the beans and chicken when in at the same time, it wasn't all too safe. However, the bean temp was 250 and later 300 after I took the ribs off and crisped the chicken skin.

While it tasted great, it probably isn't the most healthful food. In general, I'll be more careful in the future.

As someone who vends from time to time I find that the health dept spend more attention to how you handle chicken and bbean more than most other hot foods. Those two items are where the most problems can occur.
I have a bean recipe that I do allow the drippings from pork butt to add to the dish but the bean go on long after the butts were started.
Jim

I've put my beans under pork butt and rubs when I first put them on for years. I have two small pots that hold 16 oz of beans and I place them under the meat for the first two hours then remove them. I then place the beans together in a larger pot on the stove to finish cooking them at a higher temp.

They still have the smoke favor and favor of the meat plus from there I can control the temp and at the same time have more room on my WB.

I built a couple of expansion racks to solve the space problem. 1/4x20 threaded rods cut into 6" lengths, 15 1/2" charbroil round cooking rack, fender washers, and nuts/wingnuts. They worked great. I was able to cook a brisket on the bottom rack, beans on an expansion rack stacked on the bottom rack, pork butt on the top, and even added some ABTs to another expansion rack set on the top rack.

I don't often need 4 racks, but it does come in handy when the rest of the family is coming over.

Back