Be honest now, what DON'T you like about the 22" WSM?

Nothing new -- the bottom vent tabs that you have to snap off. Also, even with cover on, I seem to get some rainwater in it.

That said, I just smoked 3 whole briskets (pastrami's, actually)-- with points separated from flats. 36lbs - a tight fit, but no overlapping.

i'm surprised they are still having issues with the vent tab. someone has my notebook somewhere.. same with the door.

that is correct.. handles on the center section weren't the concern when moving it from garage to outside or on to the bed of a pickup. it was a concern of when it was hot. there were/are even some "experts" that suggest removing the center section when it is in the middle of a smoke which 1) is totally unnecessary and 2) very dangerous.. 2 gallons of water is over 16 pounds, the meat, the ring itself.. sheesh.

@greg.. i heard the dickies on the underground garage the other night. good times!

Mike

Originally posted by Mike Durso:
@greg.. i heard the dickies on the underground garage the other night. good times!

nice! let me know if you are ever in so-cal, we'll fire up some tunes and the WSM!

I just saw the new 22" WSM on Friday at Ace. That thing looks huge compared to my little 18.5" version. If if were buying new, I would grab that one in a second over the 18.5" version.

Originally posted by Tylor S.:
I found that with the grates too. I got some 'looks' from the wife when I was trying to clean the grates in our kitchen sink. I may have scratched the sink a bit too while I was rotating the grate a bit heh.

A plastic tub sounds like a great idea though!

I never clean them I just burn them off on the charcoal ring when I'm done with my 18!

BTW where can I get a stainless door for my 18? I need a new door bad. I think the handle is getting close to falling off! Vince B

Originally posted by Tylor S.:
I found that with the grates too. I got some 'looks' from the wife when I was trying to clean the grates in our kitchen sink. I may have scratched the sink a bit too while I was rotating the grate a bit heh.

A plastic tub sounds like a great idea though!

I try to burn off as much of the crud as possible from my grates. Then I always clean them in situ with a woven mesh steel scouring pad. These work really well and remove all the hard burnt on stuff, as well as the sticky stuff, and leave the grates nice and shiny. I don't use water, other than to clean the scouring pad afterwards.
I also use the pad to clean my thermometer probes without getting them wet, as I've learned the hard (and expense) way that they don't like to get wet.

-Mark.

Originally posted by Brian Curtis:
Try CajunBandit.com for a stainless door for the WSM. He sells for both sizes.

Have one of these on my 18". Excellent replacement to the stock door. Highly recommend it!

Ok I'll have to take a look at my wsm. I'm pretty sure that my smoker is about 20 years old. If I need a new knob then what? I like the looks of the stainless door just it does not come with the knob. What do we do here?

Back