BBQ time for rack of spare ribs Plus 2 fatties

Joe Amuso

Hi... i want to smoke a 4 lb rack of spare ribs this weekend and a couple of fatties... little unsure ot time it'll take - my reading leads me to believe about 5-6 hours should suffice... sound about right? Was going use 2 full loads of charcoal from my weber starter... Thanks...

I doubt if you'll be able to do the spares within that time frame unless you foil them for a short period during the cook. I do it at the 4 hr mark for 45 min. or so and then remove from foil and let them firm up. 6 hrs without foil might do it if the spares aren't the large ones like I cook.

Paul

great thanks...i'll give myself 7 hours and if they're done early - just wrap them till we're ready to eat them.... I'm ok charcoal wise? should i minion? (can you use that a verb?)

You can use either standard or MM. I use standard on short cooks but a number of people on the board have issues with managing temps on the way down. Generally it is easier to manage on the way up as with MM.

Firing up.

Paul

I always use Minion on ribs. Two hours at rib temps will probably suffice for the fatties. They're nicely done at about 165 or so in the center. Owens Maple-flavored sausage is surely tasty as a fattie - just a bit of sweet in my sausage suits me fine.

Keri C

Back