BBQ temps from lid vs. Maverick

Mark (markx3)

TVWBB Member
So I have the Maverick ET-732. From the beginning the BBQ temp gauge would always register much higher than my WSM lid temp gauge. I’m talking around 25+ degrees higher. Is this because the top of the lid is cooler than where I place the Maverick probe? I try to not have the probe on the edge of the grill so it’s not getting direct heat from the coals.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I drop my Maverick therm down the vent and use that temperature. I don't even bother to look at the lid therm. Since the vent is in the draft, it gives the most consistant temps. Notice I said consistant, not accurate.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that one of the therms must be wrong because it reads differently than the other. Since they're monitoring the temp in diferent places, it only stands to reason that they will read different temps.

Just pick the same spot to temp each time and go from there. In the end, it doesn't matter if you're cooking at 220 degrees or 325 degrees. All temp ranges turn out good Q. The only real difference is judging how much time you need before you achieve tender.

I have/had the same issue/concern...I find it's important to keep the batteries well charged on your Maverick, and then try placing it in different positions...sometimes I get what you experience ~ 30 degree difference and sometimes they're dead on. I usually go with the Maverick.

I wouldn't. It doesn't really matter what 'actual' cooktemp is. Changing its position is akin to chasing temps - it can make you crazy. Pick one spot (my preference is by far the lid vent) and simply work off that. As long as you don't take temps in multiple places you'll get used to working off of one location rather quickly.

Mark,
Early in the cook, my lid temps are often as much as 30 degrees lower than the grate probe on my digi. I'm sure part of difference is because the grate temp is influenced more by the meat just coming out of the fridge. The differences are normally about 10-15 degrees by the end of the cook.

You might want to test the thermometers or just go with one like Kevin said. I'd be more inclined to go with the Maverick at the grate. I go with the readings on my digi.

A long time ago a very wise old man (Ben Franklin) said, "a man that has one clock knows what time it is and a man that has two is never really sure"

Temp @ one spot and follow that! if its the dome or under the lid(grate) or thru the top vent. Do the same every cook and yoy will lern times vs temp and so on.(im a food level temper myself) Good luck!
icon_smile.gif

I typically have a 30 degree delta between my grate (where my ET-732 probe is) and my WSM lid. I tend to split the difference and call it good.

This is for new members:

Please don't chase temps! Pick either dome or vent and adjust your cook times to either.

Anything less than 225 or more than 300 is what you should be whatching, for bbq (low n slow)! It will drive you crazy if you let it!!!

Ribs 3.5-6hrs till tender, Butts 1.5-1.75hrs per lb till tender, etc.....!

Don't try big cooks for the 1st time with lots of guest until you learn your timing on Q!

wsmsmile8gm.gif

I love the responses here! Pre Maverick, I was so stressed about keeping temps as precise as possible. Then I got my ET-73, started thru-vent temps and my stress level dropped considerably. Keep the temp steady, and the meat will tell you when its done. Isnt that the BBQ paradigm?

Back