BBQ stand/catering

K Straker

TVWBB Member
I'd like to start selling BBQ at street fests and maybe do some catering. What kind of license do I need to sell food at a street fest? Is it different than a catering license?

It depends on the county.

In many cases 'catering licenses' cover vendors who either purchase ready-to-eat foods from an approved facility, prepare the foods themselves at an approved facility, or have a mobile catering rig that is licensed as an approved facility.

In very few places in the country can one license a residence for food preparation. In most cases you would need to buy or build a rig that you'd then have ok'd as a food preparation facility (not simply a vending facility). Your county health department has the specific info you need.

No activity for a while, but I will try. Is there some way to BBQ ribs offsite, not completely, then finishing off on grill at restaurant. I would like to contract my ribs to local restaurants. Pipe dream, thanks. Lon

Not if the restaurants don't wish to run afoul of the law. What you wish would be illegal everywhere I know.

I am in California, so I figured that 99.9% of my dreams would either be illegal or regulated to death. I just thought that their might be some sort of loop hole, if the ribs were finished at the restaurant. Thanks for your response, Lon
icon_cool.gif

I wonder what the difference is in this case compared to the prepared foods restaurants buy from Sysco and serve after heating or further processing?

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Not if the restaurants don't wish to run afoul of the law. What you wish would be illegal everywhere I know.

The difference is that Sysco (or their suppliers) are licensed food service facilities. Chain-of-responsibility requirements mean licensing from first source to final sale.

I am also wanting to get into catering, but have come to the realization of the approved facility not being my kitchen.

Kevin, any tips for what they will be looking for on an approved rig? My family picked up an vending trailer for next to nothing and that's probably what I am going to use as the start of the rig.

Check with your county HD, but usually it's a 3-basin sink, adequate refrigeration that will keep cold food cold, adequate hot-holding capability if food will be cooked and held. Some surface materials are disallowed. Your HD can give you the info for your area.

Always best to check first. Trust me, I know from experience. In my county, (Madison in IL) they've decided that there will be NO vendors (other than fraternal organizations and church groups) selling anything, anywhere on the corner lot. Period. The only exception is if there is some sort of special event going on. Then, and only then can you get a permit. They will not accept a mobile rig unless it is decked to the hilt by their specs ... ansul system, grease trap, etc. Sure there are loopholes. I know guys that are doing it now. The HDs in some counties can be a pain, others not so much. If I want to set up 30 mins north in another county I'm basically good to go with the equipment I have. Go figure.

Originally posted by Rick Kramer:
Always best to check first. Trust me, I know from experience. In my county, (Madison in IL) they've decided that there will be NO vendors (other than fraternal organizations and church groups) selling anything, anywhere on the corner lot. Period. The only exception is if there is some sort of special event going on. Then, and only then can you get a permit. They will not accept a mobile rig unless it is decked to the hilt by their specs ... ansul system, grease trap, etc. Sure there are loopholes. I know guys that are doing it now. The HDs in some counties can be a pain, others not so much. If I want to set up 30 mins north in another county I'm basically good to go with the equipment I have. Go figure.

After a few hours of research, I am in the same boat. One big difference, I don't have to go a county over... I have to go a state (or maybe 2, who knows!). All counties in Georgia follow the same GA State Health codes. Only mobile rigs allowed are Mobile Food Service Units, which are extensions of a fixed food service establishment.

For catering (Which is what I am currently interested in), you must use a commercial kitchen, which due to the above mobile regulation, can not JUST be a mobile unit.

Before getting a business license for anything to do with food, you have to have the food service permit and any other special permit (mobile, catering) before applying.

Their is an exception for fairs and festivals, but there are still other things that must be met.

Back